This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Import family file - missing record?

Has anyone noticed the issue I have had this week? I have imported 2 large family files into my family file. In both cases the number of people after the import has been one less than the number in the original file and the imported file. It will take a long time to work through and see if a record is actually missing.

Any ideas, anyone?

Re: Import family file - missing record?

Did you merge any family cards? One single merge would make for a total of one less than the pre-import total. One of several possibilities...
    Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
    Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
    iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Tedious, indeed! You could open the three files and arrange them on your screen so you can click on each to make it the active one. in the People sidebar, enter "a" in each. The counts for all three can be compared. The last digit of the sum of the two "before" file counts can be compared to the last digit of the "after" file. No need to actually add up the "before" counts.

Repeat with "b" and so on thru all twenty six. Probably have to just visually compare the people with no last name.

Once you find the first letter, do it all over again, with, e.g., "aa", "ab" ... if "a" is the first letter where the sums don't match. With any luck, you won't have to go thru all 600+ possibilities.

Good luck.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by mikekillingley View Post
        Has anyone noticed the issue I have had this week? I have imported 2 large family files into my family file. In both cases the number of people after the import has been one less than the number in the original file and the imported file. It will take a long time to work through and see if a record is actually missing.

Any ideas, anyone?
        Export the Index from each one in a simple form - e.g. Last Name, First Name and b-d dates for example.

Then open each file in TextWrangler and 2 at a time use the "Compare 2 Front Documents" command in the Search menu. This will show you the differences in the index lists in the blink of an eye.

Roger
        Roger Moffat
        http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
        http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

Originally posted by theKiwi View Post
          Export the Index from each one in a simple form - e.g. Last Name, First Name and b-d dates for example.

Then open each file in TextWrangler and 2 at a time use the "Compare 2 Front Documents" command in the Search menu. This will show you the differences in the index lists in the blink of an eye.

Roger
          Wow, Roger. Simple and elegant solution.
          Paul

Comment

Working...
          X