This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backup using Time Machine

I have several questions regarding Time Machine.

As I understand it, one must quit Reunion in order to back it up with Time Machine. Is this correct?

After backing up, in order to see what Time Machine has backed up, one must open the application first and then open Time Machine. Is this correct?

Today, just out of curiosity, I wanted to see if Time Machine was indeed backing up my Reunion files. I did the above two steps, but when I tried to open the backup, I could not do so. The icon of my Reunion file appeared and gave me the option to open it with Reunion 10 [I don't yet have 10 and only downloaded the demonstration to learn about it, but the file itself is empty.] I tried to switch the 10 to Reunion 9, which could be clicked upon. But nothing happened. So I suppose my question is, how does one use Time Machine to back up Reunion and how can one see what has been backed up?

I hope this does not seem like a stupid question, but I am stumped!!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Martha
    Click here to email me
    OS X 10.7.5, Reunion 9.0c
    http://www.avotaynu.com/books/tamar.htm

Re: Backup using Time Machine

Originally posted by martha View Post
    This page

has some answers as relevant to Reunion 9. I expect that the same would/should apply to Reunion 10.

As I understand it, one must quit Reunion in order to back it up with Time Machine. Is this correct?
    Yes, in order to get Time Machine to have a backup that can be restored and open up without issues you should NOT have that family file, or Reunion open when the backup is made.

After backing up, in order to see what Time Machine has backed up, one must open the application first and then open Time Machine. Is this correct?
    No, this is not correct. You would need to Restore the backed up file using the normal Time Machine method and then once restored then open it with Reunion.

Today, just out of curiosity, I wanted to see if Time Machine was indeed backing up my Reunion files. I did the above two steps, but when I tried to open the backup, I could not do so. The icon of my Reunion file appeared and gave me the option to open it with Reunion 10 [I don't yet have 10 and only downloaded the demonstration to learn about it, but the file itself is empty.] I tried to switch the 10 to Reunion 9, which could be clicked upon. But nothing happened. So I suppose my question is, how does one use Time Machine to back up Reunion and how can one see what has been backed up?
    Are you using Time Machine on your Mac all the time - i.e. is it running all the time and doing its regular backups every hour?

If so, then to see what has been backed up you should follow the normal Time Machine methods to Restore the file and then look at it. Note that when you Restore it you'll almost certainly want to answer the dialogue about "Replace or Keep Both" with Keep Both, and then pay close attention to the last Modified dates on the files so you know which is the current working file and which is the restored backup.

This page

has an explanation of how Time Machine works, and how to Restore files if you're not familiar with how it works.

Roger
    Roger Moffat
    http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
    http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

I hope this does not seem like a stupid question, but I am stumped!!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Martha
      Time Machine is designed to operate pretty much automatically. By design, Mac OS X is "tracking" files that get changed in between TM backup runs. So while your Reunion family file is open, it will in fact get backed up. You don't need to quit Reunion.

That said, what TM backs up while you've got it open may not be in a very safe "state" for editing should you recover it. So to guarantee you've got a completely usable backup copy, you should at least periodically ensure that TM runs while you do not have your file open. You can either quit Reunion sometime before you know a scheduled backup is due to run, or you can quit and then force TM to run another backup and be assured that your family file will be among the things it backs up.

When you want to know about what TM has backed up, you do not want to involve Reunion in the process. The easiest way I know is to use a Finder window to navigate to where your family file is stored, then (assuming you have the TM menu present) choose "Enter Time Machine" to have it show you what it backed from at that location. Then you can use TM's interface to navigate back in time to older copies should you need to restore one. When I've used that feature in the past, I've been asked to tell TM where to put the copy it restores, which is great because I can then open the restored copy and see that it's good before risking replacement of my existing one with what might be a bad backup copy.

I was taught once that the only "stupid question" is the one you don't ask -- 'cause you might otherwise never learn the answer! Now my question is whether I've adequately and clearly provided you with any kind of helpful answer!
      Montgomery, Alabama

Comment

Best policy is to let your Mac run 24/7. TimeMachine will do its backups on schedule and some of those will be while you are either asleep or otherwise occupied. e.g. when you are not working on Reunion.
        Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
        Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
        iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by theKiwi View Post
          This page

Are you using Time Machine on your Mac all the time - i.e. is it running all the time and doing its regular backups every hour?
          No, I only use it once a week, Roger!

If so, then to see what has been backed up you should follow the normal Time Machine methods to Restore the file and then look at it. Note that when you Restore it you'll almost certainly want to answer the dialogue about "Replace or Keep Both" with Keep Both, and then pay close attention to the last Modified dates on the files so you know which is the current working file and which is the restored backup.

This page

has an explanation of how Time Machine works, and how to Restore files if you're not familiar with how it works.

Roger
          Thank you so much!! Please forgive me for not replying sooner, but the digest ReunionTalk never arrived. I finally went back online to find out if there were other responses than the one that was sent directly to my email. And here are three more of you wonderful fellows each of whom has helped in a different way! Thank you, thank you!!!!

Martha
          Click here to email me

Comment

Originally posted by Steve W. Jackson View Post
            Time Machine is designed to operate pretty much automatically. By design, Mac OS X is "tracking" files that get changed in between TM backup runs. So while your Reunion family file is open, it will in fact get backed up. You don't need to quit Reunion.

That said, what TM backs up while you've got it open may not be in a very safe "state" for editing should you recover it. So to guarantee you've got a completely usable backup copy, you should at least periodically ensure that TM runs while you do not have your file open. You can either quit Reunion sometime before you know a scheduled backup is due to run, or you can quit and then force TM to run another backup and be assured that your family file will be among the things it backs up.

When you want to know about what TM has backed up, you do not want to involve Reunion in the process. The easiest way I know is to use a Finder window to navigate to where your family file is stored, then (assuming you have the TM menu present) choose "Enter Time Machine" to have it show you what it backed from at that location. Then you can use TM's interface to navigate back in time to older copies should you need to restore one. When I've used that feature in the past, I've been asked to tell TM where to put the copy it restores, which is great because I can then open the restored copy and see that it's good before risking replacement of my existing one with what might be a bad backup copy.

I was taught once that the only "stupid question" is the one you don't ask -- 'cause you might otherwise never learn the answer! Now my question is whether I've adequately and clearly provided you with any kind of helpful answer!
            Steve, all of this was INVALUABLE! So yes, you have absolutely more than "adequately and clearly" provided a fabulously helpful response!!

Thanks you!!!! Martha
            Click here to email me

Comment

Working...
            X