This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Importing Notes problem

Upgraded from Reunion v8 to v10. All files transferred ok except my notes under the heading Research in v8 (other notes headings transferred into the navbar correctly). The only way I can access my research notes in v10 is by first clicking on Misc notes in the body of Family View (under default setting) then clicking on Research on the left side of the notes window (just like in v8). In v10, I would like to have them appear in the under the Family View heading in the navbar without doing a cut & paste person by person. Any suggestions?

Re: Importing Notes problem

Take a look in the Manual for "Views" and you'll be able to add the Research Notes field to your Default View so that it shows on the screen all the time and you can get to it by clicking right on it.

Roger
    Roger Moffat
    http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
    http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

Originally posted by theKiwi View Post
      Take a look in the Manual for "Views" and you'll be able to add the Research Notes field to your Default View so that it shows on the screen all the time and you can get to it by clicking right on it.

Roger
      I have 3,300 people with notes. When upgrading to Reunion 10 my 'notes' moved to 'miscellaneous notes'. I do not want my notes as miscellaneous notes. I cannot seem to change the view for all people. I want to restore my notes not have them as miscellaneous notes. Any suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by judywilkenfeld View Post
        I have 3,300 people with notes. When upgrading to Reunion 10 my 'notes' moved to 'miscellaneous notes'. I do not want my notes as miscellaneous notes. I cannot seem to change the view for all people. I want to restore my notes not have them as miscellaneous notes. Any suggestions.
        What did you upgrade to Reunion 10 from?

How did you perform this upgrade - by GEDCOM file transfer or some other more direct method?

What were your notes before the upgrade?

Roger
        Roger Moffat
        http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
        http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

Originally posted by theKiwi View Post
          What did you upgrade to Reunion 10 from?
          How did you perform this upgrade - by GEDCOM file transfer or some other more direct method?
          What were your notes before the upgrade?

Roger
          Upgraded from Reunion 9.
          Performed the upgrade - when I opened the old family file Reunion 10 performed the upgrade automatically to 10
          Notes were 'notes' before NOT 'miscellaneous notes"
          Now when I view the person the tab notes comes up automatically with no notes. Above it on the left is the 'misc notes" tab where all my notes are. It is frustrating.

Comment

Upgraded from Reunion 9.
            Performed the upgrade - when I opened the old family file Reunion 10 performed the upgrade automatically to 10
            Notes were 'notes' before NOT 'miscellaneous notes"
            Now when I view the person the tab notes comes up automatically with no notes. Above it on the left is the 'misc notes" tab where all my notes are. It is frustrating.
            Judy,
            If your issue is with the name of the field, e.g. "Misc. Notes" instead of "Notes", Reunion has features that may help you to resolve this issue.

(1) Make a copy of your family file as backup in case something goes bad (step 4 below is a bit suspect).

(2) Generate a Field Usage list to show all your fields by name and how many times each is being used.

(3) Delete the "Notes" field if the Field Usage list confirms it is not being used.

(4) Then rename the "Misc. Notes" field to be "Notes" via the Field Preferences window.
            (One CAUTION about this. The manual says Miscellaneous Notes is a "locked" field and cannot be deleted. However I think it can be renamed by typing over the old field name with a new name in the left-hand column, as I suspect you may have done a while back in Reunion 9. I'm puzzled why "Notes" reverted back to the default "Misc. Notes" when you upgraded from R9 to R10 unless this has something to do with the special nature of "Misc. Notes" being a locked field. If that's the case, then it might be advisable to stay with "Misc. Notes" to avoid this same issue in the future.)

Refer to the manual for help regarding each of the above actions if you decide to proceed. Hope this works for you.
            Byron Spoon

Comment

Thanks Byron,
              I have saved a backup copy and generated a report.
              There is only 'misc. notes' in the usage report - NO 'notes'.
              Before I do the next radical steps as you suggested, I will add some images just to show you what is happening in the next post.
              Last edited by judywilkenfeld; 04 June 2013, 03:12 AM.

Comment

Hi Byron:
                If I click on the person's "Notes" tab I see a blank space.
                The 'notes' tab/line on the left of the body of the person notes is grayed out or blue colored out and no notes show up.
                See image "notes 1"

If I then keep the window open
                Then click on the 'misc notes' tab
                the notes within the body shows up
                See image "notes".

All my notes are within "misc notes" tab - so why is the blank/blued out notes tab on the left the default? when there is nothing actually in there???
                I want to
                A) remove the "invisible notes" tab on the left as the default tab and then
                B)remove it all together from this family file.

Interested to know what you suggest please.
                Thanks so much
                Judy
                Attached Files

Comment

Hi Byron:
                  If I click on the person's "Notes" tab I see a blank space.
                  The 'notes' tab/line on the left of the body of the person notes is grayed out or blue colored out and no notes show up.
                  See image "notes 1"

If I then keep the window open
                  Then click on the 'misc notes' tab
                  the notes within the body shows up
                  See image "notes".

All my notes are within "misc notes" tab - so why is the blank/blued out notes tab on the left the default? when there is nothing actually in there???
                  I want to
                  A) remove the "invisible notes" tab on the left as the default tab and then
                  B)remove it all together from this family file.

Interested to know what you suggest please.
                  Thanks so much
                  Judy
                  OK Judy,
                  Now I see the sort of mess you've got and I can't explain it. My previous guess that it might have happened by renaming the Misc. Notes field (even though it is a "locked" field) in Reunion 9 and then converting the file to Reunion 10 is wrong. I have just tried this with a duplicate copy of the Sample File in Reunion 9 and then converted that to Reunion 10 and it all converted just fine, with the notes data properly contained in the field named Notes.

So I am at a loss as to how your problem might have happened. As for repairing this, I have only a couple other suggestions.

(1) On the offhand chance that there was a glitch in the conversion process, you could go back to your Reunion 9 version of your family file and relaunch it in Reunion 10 to re-convert it. Then see if it comes out ok on the new conversion.

(2) If that fails to clear up the problem, then I suggest emailing help@leisterpro.com and solicit their expert help. You will need to reference this ReunionTalk thread in your email and they may ask you to attach a copy of either or both your Reunion 9 version of your family file and/or a copy of your Reunion 10 converted version of your family file, but wait for their instructions before emailing the file(s).
                  Byron Spoon

Comment

Working...
                  X