X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cemetery Marker Question

Hi---

I would like some advice as to how to handle a situation for my Reunion data.

If I have a Cemetery Marker photograph, I normally add it as an event and then

create a source for it that includes the Cemetery Marker photograph.

However, I have now encountered a situation where a LIVING relative has

created his (and his wife's) Cemetery Marker; and I have a photograph of it.

How should this be handled, so that I can be consistent in my practice of

including a Cemetery Marker photograph source, if available?

Thanks.

Troy---

Re: Cemetery Marker Question

Originally posted by Troy View Post
    If I have a Cemetery Marker photograph, I normally add it as an event and then create a source for it that includes the Cemetery Marker photograph.

However, I have now encountered a situation where a LIVING relative has created his (and his wife's) Cemetery Marker; and I have a photograph of it.
    I suppose there are all kinds of ways to conceptualize what a "Cemetery Marker" event means....
    [1] cemetery marker placed in cemetery
    [2] cemetery marker bought
    [3] cemetery marker visited and photographed

But no matter how you conceptualize it, all, I think, that would be required in the instance you are wondering about is to include a note saying the marker is preordered for living people, and has/hasn't been placed yet in the cemetery where they plan to be buried. (Usually, isn't the death date added after death in these instances, so you'd need an additional photo anyway)...

A marker of a grave site is a grave stone. A marker of a site commemorating a dead person who is *not* buried there is a cenotaph.

Is there a name for a marker of someone living? Hard to believe we don't have an actual word for this sort of grave-stone-in-waiting.
    Dennis J. Cunniff
    Click here to email me

Comment

In the business, it is referred to as a "preneed" stone. The term also refers to a double headstone for a couple when only one is deceased, but the name and birthdate is inscribed on the side for the living spouse.

Comment

Originally posted by dfilpus View Post
        In the business, it is referred to as a "preneed" stone. The term also refers to a double headstone for a couple when only one is deceased, but the name and birthdate is inscribed on the side for the living spouse.
        I'm glad I asked! Thanks...
        Dennis J. Cunniff
        Click here to email me

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis J. Cunniff View Post
          :
          But no matter how you conceptualize it, all, I think, that would be required in the instance you are wondering about is to include a note saying the marker is preordered for living people, and has/hasn't been placed yet in the cemetery where they plan to be buried.
          :
          I agree with Dennis about adding the note of explanation, and just want to add that you can certainly create an event without filling in the date, or even use a custom date, e.g. 'not yet'. Then when the time comes you can put in the actual event date and you're all done!
          Howard Fink
          knowHow@mac.com

Comment

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond.

Your suggestions are helpful and definitely informative.

Troy---

Comment

Working...
            X