This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gedcom export options

Got Reunion for mac and ready to export my gedcom file from my older version of Ancestral Quest on my very old PC. My 3 export settings are below. Wondering which I should click for error free import. Thanks

Export Type:
    Standard
    Ancestral File
    Temple Name

Version:

Char Set
    Ansel
    Ansi

Re: gedcom export options

Hi,

You should select the following options:

Export Type: Standard

Version: 5.5

Char Set: Ansel

These options should give you the best data transfer.

HTH
    Mark Harrison
    Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Thanks for the tip.

Comment

I just purchased a new iMac (no CD Rom on this) & I want to transfer my PAF genealogy from my old PC to Reunion on new iMac. Should I buy Reunion 10 or 9? What is the best way to transfer my names & information successfully? Thanks in advance for any advice.
        Joan Fraser

Comment

Originally posted by Joan Fraser View Post
          I just purchased a new iMac (no CD Rom on this) & I want to transfer my PAF genealogy from my old PC to Reunion on new iMac. Should I buy Reunion 10 or 9? What is the best way to transfer my names & information successfully? Thanks in advance for any advice.
          Joan Fraser
          Even if you have access to an old copy of Reunion 9 lying around in some store, you should definitely go with Reunion 10.

To transfer the file, I would just export a gedcom file from PAF and then import it into a new Reunion family file. You could email the gedcom file to yourself as an attachment or put the file on a USB thumb drive to do the transfer.

You might want to survey your data once it's in Reunion before making any changes just to make sure the data transferred the way you want. The basic vital statistics and family connections should be fine, but if you have any custom fields, these might bear closer examination. My use of PAF is pretty superficial, but the only problems I've had are that name suffixes (Jr, Sr, II, III, etc.) show up twice when they get to Reunion, so I've done editing of the Gedcom file to avoid this problem. You can also edit it in Reunion, but it might take a little more work finding all the instances.

Hope you enjoy your new software!
          Last edited by ttl; 20 March 2013, 06:41 PM.
          Tim Lundin
          Heartland Family Graphics
          http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Thanks, Tim, for your Reply with advice. Do Notes on PAF transfer to Reunion as well.
            Joan F

Comment

Originally posted by Joan Fraser View Post
              Thanks, Tim, for your Reply with advice. Do Notes on PAF transfer to Reunion as well.
              Joan F
              I don't know if PAF has any fancy notes categories, but the basic notes transferred fine for me.
              Tim Lundin
              Heartland Family Graphics
              http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Working...
              X