This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Citation Software

I am drafting my first article for possible publication and am struggling through compiling and formatting a bibliography and then my endnote citations. Not fun.

Previously, I have created all endnotes from my "sources consulted" manually and individually formatted.

Is anyone using software to create citation references from a bibliography of sources? If so, what products are working best for you?

There seem to be several available either as downloadable software or online services, but I haven't found one that can format census record sources.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Bill
    Bill
    Sherman William Bear
    Researching Bear/Behr/Bohr in PA
    Sherman in NB, OH, PA

Re: Citation Software

Originally posted by Bill Bear View Post
    I am drafting my first article for possible publication and am struggling through compiling and formatting a bibliography and then my endnote citations. Not fun.

Previously, I have created all endnotes from my "sources consulted" manually and individually formatted.

Is anyone using software to create citation references from a bibliography of sources? If so, what products are working best for you?

There seem to be several available either as downloadable software or online services, but I haven't found one that can format census record sources.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Bill
    Don't walk, RUN to Zotero.org and download a copy of their FREE application. Free-standing or Firefox plugin, your choice! (I use both versions.)

Zotero can (and will) make both the footnotes and the bibliogaphy with a minimum of fuss. It is both powerful and easy to use. Enjoy!
    Arnold
    -----
    RESEARCHING: FRIESLAND (Holland); NEW BRUNSWICK (Canada); Maine, NYS & NJ (USA)

Comment

Originally posted by AE Palmer View Post
      Don't walk, RUN to Zotero.org and download a copy of their FREE application. Free-standing or Firefox plugin, your choice! (I use both versions.)

Zotero can (and will) make both the footnotes and the bibliogaphy with a minimum of fuss. It is both powerful and easy to use. Enjoy!
      Thanks, Arnold.... I'm on my way!

Bill
      Bill
      Sherman William Bear
      Researching Bear/Behr/Bohr in PA
      Sherman in NB, OH, PA

Comment

Originally posted by AE Palmer View Post

I follow your suggestion. But I was wondering, what is the difference between Zotero and Evernote? I also have been using Evernote to gather information.
        Mac OS X 10.12.3, Reunion 11.0.11
        http://www.thefamilyofmichaelmccormack.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Cormac View Post
          I follow your suggestion. But I was wondering, what is the difference between Zotero and Evernote? I also have been using Evernote to gather information.
          At first blush Evernote appears to be more of an organizer / scrapbook than Zotero. (I am looking to Evernote's potential uses.)

As for Zotero, it is produced by the good folks at IMLS and is designed to be a bibliographic research tool. I find it to be an excellent way of recording all of my genealogical and historical references. And since a significant portion of that research is now Internet based (census images, Rootsweb, et al) Zotero is ideal at collecting the source material (a single mouse-click for each webpage) and then creating the perfect Chicago style footnotes within MS Word (or other WP applications!) It can also make bibliographic lists with a few clicks of the mouse. In short, Zotero is a very good solution for anyone doing serious bibliographic research
          Arnold
          -----
          RESEARCHING: FRIESLAND (Holland); NEW BRUNSWICK (Canada); Maine, NYS & NJ (USA)

Comment

[QUOTE=AE Palmer;36522]At first blush Evernote appears to be more of an organizer / scrapbook than Zotero. (I am looking to Evernote's potential uses.)

As for Zotero, it is produced by the good folks at IMLS and is designed to be a bibliographic research tool. I find it to be an excellent way of recording all of my genealogical and historical references. And since a significant portion of that research is now Internet based (census images, Rootsweb, et al) Zotero is ideal at collecting the source material (a single mouse-click for each webpage) and then creating the perfect Chicago style footnotes within MS Word (or other WP applications!) It can also make bibliographic lists with a few clicks of the mouse. In short, Zotero is a very good solution for anyone doing serious bibliographic research
            Mac OS X 10.12.3, Reunion 11.0.11
            http://www.thefamilyofmichaelmccormack.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
            X