X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tfrring charts from windows to Mac Reunion

Hello,
    I've just taken the big step into the world of Mac after 25 years of Microsoft machines and now have a shiny new i-mac on my desk.

Liking it very much so far, for Time Machine and ease of use, etc.

I had been using Generations 4.2 Windows program and am now on Reunion 10.

The people databases have transferred over ok, but no luck with the charts, one of which is the size of 36 A4 pages.

Please can anyone relate any experiences or ideas to help me make the switchover ?

Thanks

Paul P.
    (in England)

Re: tfrring charts from windows to Mac Reunion

Originally posted by Paul P. View Post
    The people databases have transferred over ok, but no luck with the charts, one of which is the size of 36 A4 pages.

Please can anyone relate any experiences or ideas to help me make the switchover ?
    Paul,

Charts don't "transfer", they are generated by the program you are using.

Is the issue the fact that your chart is on 36 pages and not one page?
    Last edited by Deb; 29 November 2012, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Hello,
      I've just taken the big step into the world of Mac after 25 years of Microsoft machines and now have a shiny new i-mac on my desk. ...
      Welcome, Paul-
      You have cross-posted this identical request to three different ReunionTalk forums, (1) Reunion 10, (2) Reunion 9, and (3) Using Older Versions of Reunion. This is unnecessary and a time waster for both you and for the readers. Furthermore, replies to your message may be scattered across one or another of these forums instead of being consolidated to a single thread, thus making it more difficult to locate a particular reply.

As a newbie, you should review the "ReunionTalk Guidelines" section by clicking on the link in the header at the top of ReunionTalk web page. Item #11 in the Guidelines addresses this particular situation.

Hope this helps, and welcome aboard.
      Byron Spoon

Comment

I had been using Generations 4.2 Windows program and am now on Reunion 10.

I can't recall if Windows and Mac versions of the charts were ever compatible, but if you'd like to send me your files, I can try to fire up an old computer this weekend and see if I can open them with a contemporaneous version of Reunion, and if so, then step the chart up to Reunion 10 for you. Just use the "Contact Us" link on the right side of the home page linked in my signature below

However, it may be easier to simply recreate the charts from scratch in Reunion 10, as suggested by jmayes. There's many new options to choose for appearance, and in the case of descendant charts, some nice new orientation (tree shape/layout) options.
        Last edited by ttl; 29 November 2012, 10:47 AM.
        Tim Lundin
        Heartland Family Graphics
        http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Thanks for all your messages.

The chart files have .cht name endings and the 36 page one is a whole chart of 6 x 6 A4 pages size.

It started as a simple "all ancestors" chart, but when I discovered an early medieval english king as an ancestor it subsequently grew to show 70 generations, back to the 1st century bc !

I've seen various programs for sale that promise to be able to convert .cht's, but not sure if they'd change over them to an editable form, rather than just a read only pdf or similar.

I might re-look at whether R10 can create a 70+ gens chart, which I know would be very flexible to edit.

Regards

Paul

Comment

Working...
          X