This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Source Report

When requesting the 'Create Usage Report for all Sources...', quite a few of my sources do not appear at the end of this report. I have checked the ones that are not reported to see if there is any difference between them and the ones that do appear and can see no clues. Any suggestions on how to get ALL sources to appear in this report?

Re: Source Report

Originally posted by sgtbob View Post
    I have checked the ones that are not reported to see if there is any difference between them and the ones that do appear and can see no clues.
    Have you checked to see if the sources are being used in the file?

You can check this by selecting the source, then selecting "Show usage of source [#]..." from the Tools menu. If they aren't being used in the file, they won't appear in the "Create Usage Report for all Sources..." report.

HTH
    Mark Harrison
    Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
      If they aren't being used in the file, they won't appear in the "Create Usage Report for all Sources..." report.
      @Mark=
      You might consider changing the title "Create Usage Report for all Sources..." in the Source Tools popup menu, since only the 'used' sources are listed in the report, not 'all' sources. I'd recommend dropping the word "all" from the title.

Or alternatively, include even the unused sources in the report.
      Last edited by ByronSpoon; 28 November 2012, 11:04 AM. Reason: Added last paragraph for completeness.
      Byron Spoon

Comment

I tried the report to see what would happen with my large file. Of about 1700 sources, only about 1300 printed. The second source in my list was unused, so it doesn't seem to exclude unused ones.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Luning View Post
          The second source in my list was unused, so it doesn't seem to exclude unused ones.
          After testing this, you are correct. I assumed that unused sources wouldn't be included (and we all know what happens when you assume!).

With that in mind, Bob, would you mind sending us your Family File, along with details on a few sources that are missing from the report, so we can take a look at the issue?
          Mark Harrison
          Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

I've checked several of the 'omitted' sources and although they do show usage, they are not in the report.

Insofar as omitting the word 'all' from the report title, I am unable to find where I could do so - please indicate where this feature can be found so I can experiment with it.

As to sending the report to Leicester - how does one do that?

Comment

... Insofar as omitting the word 'all' from the report title, I am unable to find where I could do so - please indicate where this feature can be found so I can experiment with it.
              Sgtbob-
              No you cannot change the title! My comment was directed to Mark of the developer organization, suggesting they either change the title to be consistent with the behavior or to include all sources (including missing and/or unused sources) in the report.

Subsequent comments in this thread have further defined the issue. The developers are now investigating why not all sources are being included in the report as per the original intent.

As to sending the report to Leicester - how does one do that?
              Email it to help@leisterpro.com along with a description of the issue you are reporting.
              Byron Spoon

Comment

Bob,

Mark asked for your Family File, not the report. This is so they can recreate the problem and have everything they need at hand to find a fix. I have done this (sent my Family File) a couple of times, and the response has been great.

If your Family File is too big for your email to send as an attachment, I suggest trying Dropbox (dropbox.com/mac) which is a free method of sharing files on the net. Use help@leisterpro.com as the user to share the file with, and send Mark an email letting him know what you are doing.

Good luck,
                Paul

Comment

Thanks guys for the help. I installed Dropbox and not knowing WTH I was doing, I put my file into the folder and advised via a separate e-mail to 'help@Leicester.com' with some notes and the name of my family file which 'I think' I put in Dropbox. Will await the outcome and hope something was transmitted and that they can find me.

My learning curve is bent rather than curved.

bob

Comment

It does appear that my transmission via Dropbox worked - Mark so kindly reviewed my FamilyFile and provided an answer.

It seems that the top part of the report lists all sources with the person number entered for all who use that source. The bottom part of the report requires that an entry be in the 'detail' block when the source is added to a person in order for the source to show up in the bottom part of the report.

That isn't what I had hoped to achieve from the report, but Mark did show me where I was going wrong and sent a great reply. I'm impressed with Mark's answer and also the Dropbox feature.

Many thanks to all who replied.

Bob

Comment

Bob,

Thanks for passing that info along. I had totally not realized there were two reports in the file, the second being "Citation Detail Summary" which, indeed, only lists sources with something in the detail field. Now I guess I'll look at the user manual and see if I should have known this all along. :-)

Paul

Comment

Working...
                      X