This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filling blank fields

I didn't put a place of birth when I entered some of my husband's early Norwegian ancestors, but know that it is somewhere in Norway. I would now like to enter "Norway" in all the blank fields.

I easily selected and marked the people for whom I want to enter the data, but haven't been able to figure out a way to easily enter "Norway" as the Birth Place for all that are marked.

The "Replace" function doesn't allow you to replace a blank. (Also, it doesn't allow you to limit a replacement to only certain of the "Places" fields, though in this case i would be willing to put "Norway" in every place field.)

Another option I tried was to get all the marked people in the "List window" and then somehow automatically fill all the Birth Place fields with "Norway," but there doesn't seem to be a way to do that, either.

Does anyone have a suggestion? Or am I just fated to enter the data for his ancestors one-by-one. (Which I guess will teach me that I should have been more thorough in the first place!)

Thanks.

Marian

Re: Filling blank fields

Originally posted by m_c_hill View Post
    Does anyone have a suggestion? Or am I just fated to enter the data for his ancestors one-by-one
    Hi Marian,

The simplest way to do what you are wanting is to get a listing of the appropriate people in the List window like you did before. (I.e., you marked them and then listed those marked people.) Be sure the Birth Place field is displayed in the List window.

Then, enter Norway into the Birth Place for the first person. (You can do this directly in the List window.)

Next, copy (i.e., using Command-C) the text you just entered.

Then, tab through the fields in the List window until you get to the next person's Birth Place field and paste (i.e., using Command-V) Norway into that field.

Continue tabbing through the fields and pasting Norway into each person's Birth Place field until all the Birth Place fields have been filled with Norway.

I hope you find this method helpful:-)
    Deb Stuller
    Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Working...
    X