This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

excel, doc & html files as sources

Some of my source files are excel, doc & html files.

While I can list the filenames in the data section of the sources sidebar, I cannot link to the original files as only images, pdfs, etc are allowed.

Is there any way to link to excel files, etc?

Re: excel, doc & html files as sources

I do not seem to have any html files in my system so I can't tell what happens. My MS WORD .doc files appear to allow 'dragging' them into my sources as a multimedia file. As to MS Excel files, they do not appear to lend themselves to 'dragging' into My Family File. What I've done is to scan the .xls file into a .pdf and that allows me to drag them into my sources.

If someone has a different solution, please share it.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by sgtbob View Post
      What I've done is to scan the .xls file into a .pdf and that allows me to drag them into my sources.

If someone has a different solution, please share it.

Bob
      If you're going the PDF route for Excel files, you can convert directly without scanning by saving as PDF from the Print window in Excel.
      Tim Lundin
      Heartland Family Graphics
      http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

I ended up going the pdf route which is OK for doc files but pretty unsatisfactory for excel files.

So far, this is my only complaint about the program. It would be good if the leisterpro people could fix this omission.

Comment

Originally posted by ttl View Post
          If you're going the PDF route for Excel files, you can convert directly without scanning by saving as PDF from the Print window in Excel.
          Excellent idea - I had not noticed that feature. That will save an extra step in the process.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by oz1 View Post
            I ended up going the pdf route which is OK for doc files but pretty unsatisfactory for excel files.

So far, this is my only complaint about the program. It would be good if the leisterpro people could fix this omission.
            This intrigues me.... I have been doing genealogy for close to 30 years and this is the first time that I have seen someone wanting an active spreadsheet file "attached" to genealogy software. May I be nosy and ask what the reason is? If we knew what you are trying to accomplish, someone here may already have a solution.
            Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
            Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
            iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
              This intrigues me.... I have been doing genealogy for close to 30 years and this is the first time that I have seen someone wanting an active spreadsheet file "attached" to genealogy software. May I be nosy and ask what the reason is? If we knew what you are trying to accomplish, someone here may already have a solution.
              Simple enough really. Wife has most of her sources (images of census pages, etc) attached as links. Some of the source info is in the form of spreadsheets. These include trees given to her by others, lists of occupations, info on goods from wills etc. While she could enter this info manually or go direct to the spreadsheet via finder, it's convenient just to open up the original file directly from R10. Am just trying to save additional work. Also, she uses spreadsheet info in one name studies.
              Last edited by oz1; 10 November 2012, 02:09 PM.

Comment

OK, I see... but... you all are losing a lot when it comes to doing the various reports that Reunion is capable of since you are not entering the data in appropriate fields. You may want to think about the long term effect of this.
                Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
                Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
                iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
                  OK, I see... but... you all are losing a lot when it comes to doing the various reports that Reunion is capable of since you are not entering the data in appropriate fields. You may want to think about the long term effect of this.
                  Fair point. Reunion has changed the way she is doing data entry. However, she is coming from Windows programs (KKPRO & FTM) & the limitations of GEDCOM export/import means that some information has been lost on transfer. Given the size of her tree, that means a lot of re-entry so wherever we can save time by minimising typing, that's a bonus. In the long term, we'll aim for a more "conventional" database setup. Initially, however, we are more interested in pursuing the mapping facilities in R10 as you may have noticed from my earlier posts.

Comment

Working...
                  X