This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Detail Issue

What is the recommended or general consensus on how to utilize the detail field to enter a page number or other defining information when adding the source to more than one person? I have not been able to find a method in the manual yet to do as I would like. The manual under
    Last edited by sgtbob; 27 October 2012, 06:31 AM. Reason: Added item

Re: Detail Issue

Rather than have many of the same named sources what I have done is name the book or source in the main sources list, then when it comes to the specific page number references I add this to the "Detail" portion of the source on the persons page where I have sourced the event or fact.

Joanne C

Comment

Originally posted by Joanne C View Post
      Rather than have many of the same named sources what I have done is name the book or source in the main sources list, then when it comes to the specific page number references I add this to the "Detail" portion of the source on the persons page where I have sourced the event or fact.
      Joanne - Like sgtbob, I am also new to Reunion, but I find myself doing what you do - putting page # in details.

My question is - how far to go with the details? For example, for a birth cert, I like to put in mother's name, bp, father's name, bp, etc. The problem is that I can't see all these details when I am in the program. Am I better off putting this in memos about the event, or in Notes, or what? Any suggestions?

Regards,

Betty

Comment

Originally posted by Betty E View Post
        My question is - how far to go with the details? For example, for a birth cert, I like to put in mother's name, bp, father's name, bp, etc. The problem is that I can't see all these details when I am in the program. Am I better off putting this in memos about the event, or in Notes, or what? Any suggestions?
        Betty - I too am new to Reunion and really don't know the proper place to enter all the information shown on the birth certificate. I would be interested in others thoughts on this also.

Joanne
        Last edited by Gregg; 27 October 2012, 05:49 PM.

Comment

I had been using another genealogy program in the PC environment that allowed one to do a 'copy' of the source complete with the details and add it to each of the people that used the specific 'page' or detail within the master source.

Having to re-enter a page number for each person, or repetitive details, that affect a range of folks within a source, is awfully labor intensive. Would that a similar feature were available in Reunion. Guess I'll have to continue to enter the detail data which is going to be a lot of re-visiting of sources.

Comment

Originally posted by Joanne C View Post
            Rather than have many of the same named sources, what I have done is name the book or source in the main sources list, then when it comes to the specific page number references I add this to the "Detail" portion... where I have sourced the event or fact.
            In Reunion, this is the intended usage of the Detail field and the Source record, as explained in the manual.
            Frank Leister
            Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by sgtbob View Post
              The manual under ‘detail’ infers that a separate source would need to be made if say quoting page 5 as a ‘detail’ of source 1234, then another source if wanting to enter page 125 as a detail using the same source...
              I think you're misunderstanding the manual, or the terminology. A separate citation is used in each instance where a particular source record is referenced. And, in each citation detail field, you may enter detail such as page number.

For example...

Event is the birth date
              Citation associated with the birth date points to Source #100
              Citation Detail field contains something like "page 15"
              Source Record #100 is titled My Big Book

Another event would be, let's say, a death date
              Citation associated with the death date points to the same Source #100
              Citation Detail field contains a different page, like "page 25"

As you can see, Source Record #100 is recorded only one time. But it may be cited by different events (or notes or facts), and each citation may, if necessary, contain different detail (such as page numbers).
              Last edited by Frank; 27 October 2012, 09:12 PM.
              Frank Leister
              Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Frank - Great to see your input.

Regarding details such as abstracts from birth certs, etc., where does Reunion handle those? In Notes?

Betty

Comment

Originally posted by Betty E View Post
                  for a birth cert, I like to put in mother's name, bp, father's name, bp, etc. The problem is that I can't see all these details when I am in the program. Am I better off putting this in memos about the event, or in Notes, or what? Any suggestions?
                  For a one page document like a birth certificate, why not scan it as a pdf and attach it to the person's record (in the multimedia window), checking off the "Treat as Document" checkbox?
                  Dennis J. Cunniff
                  Click here to email me

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis J. Cunniff View Post
                    For a one page document like a birth certificate, why not scan it as a pdf and attach it to the person's record (in the multimedia window), checking off the "Treat as Document" checkbox?
                    Dennis - Thank you. That's a good idea. I am just learning Reunion and I think I need to get accustomed to using its multimedia capabilities to full advantage.

Betty

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
                      I think you're misunderstanding the manual, or the terminology. A separate citation is used in each instance where a particular source record is referenced. And, in each citation detail field, you may enter detail such as page number.

For example...

Event is the birth date
                      Citation associated with the birth date points to Source #100
                      Citation Detail field contains something like "page 15"

Another event would be, let's say, a death date
                      Citation associated with the death date points to the same Source #100
                      Citation Detail field contains a different page, like "page 25"

As you can see, Source Record #100 is recorded only one time. But it may be cited by different events (or notes or facts), and each citation may, if necessary, contain different detail (such as page numbers).
                      I see your point, and I do cite the sources as you describe. But if using your sample Source Record #100, say a book with 50 relatives all listed on page 55, I select the source and then wouldn't I have to physically enter the page number (or other repetitive data I might care to add) as a detail for each person? In other words, I am unable to find a feature that allows me to carry the entire repetitive data (source + detail) to the next person to be entered. I suspect that adding another source with the page number and other details as part of the source might be one solution to add this data without physically entering it each time.
                      Last edited by sgtbob; 30 October 2012, 03:42 AM. Reason: Added data

Comment

There has been a lot of useful discusion of this: if you've got a spare hour, I suggest you use Search (near top of this page) and put in Sources.

Comment

I am unable to find a feature that allows me to carry the entire repetitive data (source + detail) to the next person to be entered.
                          Can't you just copy and paste the source citation? Highlight the source citation, command c to copy. Select the fact or event that you want to copy it to and command v to paste.
                          Tom Boyd
                          boydroots.net

Comment

Originally posted by thboyd View Post
                            Can't you just copy and paste the source citation? Highlight the source citation, command c to copy. Select the fact or event that you want to copy it to and command v to paste.
                            Yes - but my point is that the detail must be physically entered for each person. Its useable, but awkward.

Comment

Yes - but my point is that the detail must be physically entered for each person...
                              Not true. What Tom said applies to the citation, including the detail.

You may copy the entire citation line and paste the entire citation into another event, or another person's event, etc. And that will include the detail, if any.

But if using your sample Source Record #100, say a book with 50 relatives all listed on page 55, I select the source and then wouldn't I have to physically enter the page number (or other repetitive data I might care to add) as a detail for each person?
                              In that scenario, I would specify the page number in the source record. Then there's no need for anything in the detail field of the citations in all 50 relatives records.
                              Frank Leister
                              Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Working...
                              X