This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to put iPhotos and scans?

Long time user. Running Reunion 10, OS 10.8.
    I've been building data, taking photos and scanning documents & photos for years. Time to put it together. What is the simple way to attach photos and scans to a name?

Where within the computer will the Reunion accessed photos and scans live? Do I put them there or does Reunion 10 do that? Once there, if I create a web site and put it onto a disk or flash drive will those photos and scans show? What format does Reunion like most? If I want to produce large charts, what formats work? When Reunion 11 comes out in a new data format, where do a put photos and scans today for them to move tomorrow?

I've followed some photo threads and attached a few photos. Time for serious attaching.

Re: Where to put iPhotos and scans?

Originally posted by Frank Rader View Post
    Where within the computer will the Reunion accessed photos and scans live? Do I put them there or does Reunion 10 do that?
    Basically, wherever you place your photos with your scanning software, image processing software, and/or file management software (operating system) is where they will stay. When you link to them with Reunion, Reunion will continue to refer to them in their original location, although Reunion 10 is much better at following the photos around if you decide to move them. Some people like to link to the iPhoto library for convenience, but a lot of others, including myself, would prefer to keep a potential variable out of the equation (future iPhoto versions) and just have a separate folder for Reunion pictures.

There has been a lot of discussion on the forum about how to organize the files and some approaches get quite elaborate. I'm fairly simple-minded and put my photos in the ~/Pictures/Reunion Pictures folder, organized in subfolders by major family branch. That's for people. I use source type folders (obits/emails/church records/census/etc) in the Reunion Pictures folder for source documents.

Once there, if I create a web site and put it onto a disk or flash drive will those photos and scans show? What format does Reunion like most? If I want to produce large charts, what formats work?
    Reunion will always refer to the original photos as far as I know, but it also creates thumbnails of them for the family views, and when you save and share your family file, these thumbnails accompany the file so that there's always a picture for the family views--the originals don't follow.

When you create a web site, photos are exported and will be part of the project so the project can stand alone. Reports and charts have the photos embedded as part of the file so they can stand alone as well.

Reunion can recognize a lot of formats but I've settled primarily on jpeg for photos and PDF for documents, primarily for wide and long term compatibility.

When Reunion 11 comes out in a new data format, where do a put photos and scans today for them to move tomorrow?
    Reunion has been pretty consistent across versions about how it handles multimedia, and I would be very surprised if a future version doesn't handle your photos as you have them stored now. Even Reunion 10 which has introduced huge interface changes still links to photos the way Reunion has for years, and does it better and easier than ever.
    Last edited by ttl; 21 August 2012, 06:32 PM.
    Tim Lundin
    Heartland Family Graphics
    http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Working...
    X