This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exporting

Hi, I'm new to Reunion and enjoying it a lot. Just wondering, if in the future someone takes over my files and uses a different program, will my custom sources/fields/events etc. translate nicely into other programs? IE if I export as a gedcom and send someone, the can open and get my custom settings to appear in a sensible way in their program? Mac and Windows?

Thanks, Martha

Re: Exporting

Originally posted by Bowes Researcher View Post
    Hi, I'm new to Reunion and enjoying it a lot. Just wondering, if in the future someone takes over my files and uses a different program, will my custom sources/fields/events etc. translate nicely into other programs? IE if I export as a gedcom and send someone, the can open and get my custom settings to appear in a sensible way in their program? Mac and Windows?

Thanks, Martha
    Short answer is no - Gedcom is a very old protocol that never worked very well and has not been kept current in any way.

Names, dates transfer just fine, and sources pretty well, depending on software and settings - - - why not leave the inheritor of the data your computer and software?
    Mary Arthur

Comment

I would recommend the site http://practicalcitation.com/ where the author Ben Sayer has written a guide for Reunion 10 covering the topic "A Guide to Simply and Safely Recording Sources and Citations". Ben has studied the effect of inconsistency and exchanged information between twelve software packages to determine a method to safe guard your sources against future data loss when someone is viewing your GEDCOM data in another package.

Comment

I may be way off topic here, if so forgive me, but your pseudonym hit me in the face. I research the Laidman families, just about all of whom originated from Bowes, Yorkshire. I just wondered if there is any connection here. Again, I apologize if this is irrelevant...
        Nick Michael
        LAIDMAN One-Name-Study
        GOONS Member 3814
        http://laidman.one-name.net

Comment

Working...
        X