This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Width of Navbar and Sidebar

Although Reunion is my favourite application and I appreciate many of the features in Reunion 10, I do have a problem with the room it takes widthwise, even when it is reduced to the minimum and using a 1920 x 1200 display. When entering data into Reunion, I want to have at least my browser and finder windows open and look at them at the same time, without Reunion partially covering them. Obviously the best solution, as mentioned in a previous thread, would be to have a second screen, but that is not always practical due to the space required. A preference to be able to have the NavBar with just the icons, if desired, would already help, or even the option to hide it completely, plus the possibility to make the sidebar slightly narrower than possible at present. I work with Reunion on the right-hand side of my screen, so hiding the sidebar doesn't give me more space on the left-hand side of my screen, unless I move the Reunion window as well, but that is not useful, since the sidebar is needed most of the time.

Susan Cailliau
    France

Re: Width of Navbar and Sidebar

You can make the sidebar narrower by hovering in the space between your family view and the sidebar, a little slider icon will appear and you can adjust it accordingly.
    If you are using Lion you also have the option to make any number of desktops, simply open Mission Control or swipe upwards (3 or 4 fingers) on your trackpad take your mouse or pointer to the top of the screen on the right hand side and you'll be shown a screen with a plus symbol. Click on it and you now have 2 desktops. If you make 3 desktops you can have reunion open on the middle one, finder on the screen to the right and your browser on the screen to your left or whichever way you prefer. Its a simple 3 finger swipe gesture to get from one to the other. You may want to go into system preferences, trackpad or mouse, to tweak the settings to your liking .
    I hope this helps
    S

Comment

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I am aware that I can change the width of the sidebar with the slider icon, but as I said in my previous message, I have reduced the Reunion window including the sidebar to the minimum.

I am not using Lion, but have had a quick look at a machine with Lion and Mission Control looks similar to Spaces on earlier versions. This isn't relevant to what I would like in this particular case. I can already go from my browser to the finder window or Reunion or whatever with a simple click, but that is not the point. I want to work in Reunion whilst seeing and comparing information in other applications, without Reunion covering up part of the other application. The finder window is not actually an issue, but the browser window is too small for comfort if I adjust it to the space left by Reunion. I know it is not a big problem having to switch between one and the other all the time, but the possibility of an icon only Navbar and a narrower Sidebar, if preferred, would be nice!

Comment

Are you aware that by using Mission Control you can open several desktops. You can have Reunion on one, your browser on another and your Finder windows on a third.
        You will not see all of these at the same time, but you can jump from one to another quite easily.
        Since my husband taught me this, I use the feature ALL the time. I just followed between Franks' instructions on my Timeline problem and my reunion program by jumping between these windows. Displays in all windows are open to the size you prefer and the jump is about as quick as bringing a finder window to the front.

Sue

Comment

Originally posted by Sue McCormick View Post
          Are you aware that by using Mission Control you can open several desktops. You can have Reunion on one, your browser on another and your Finder windows on a third.
          Sue
          Yes, thank you, I realize how Mission Control works and I have been a regular user of Spaces since it was introduced, but in this particular case, it is not what I want.

Comment

Originally posted by Susan Bland View Post
            A preference to be able to have the NavBar with just the icons, if desired, would already help, or even the option to hide it completely, plus the possibility to make the sidebar slightly narrower than possible at present.

Susan Cailliau
            France
            Maybe you could put your suggestions in the Wishlist section
            S

Comment

I concur with Susan regarding the navbar and sidebar width issue. I am using a MacBook Air with a 11" screen with a much smaller screen resolution (1210x680 custom resolution).
              I would suggest a navbar show/hide toggle similar to the sidebar toggle may assist for any wishlist consideration.
              My only work-around for this current issue of limited screen real estate is not to use the sidebar but instead, use the command L option to display the list with overlaps the family view. I agree this isn't perfect and the sidebar is preferable.

Comment

The combination of be able to see my web browser and Reunion windows side by side, along with the new Internet search abilities introduced with version 10, makes it very worthwhile to invest in the 27" iMac (if that works with your situation).

For those of you with laptops, maybe getting a large monitor would do the job. It wouldn't need to be an expensive large monitor as you are primarily working with text. Years ago, I would not have made this recommendation but flat screens of today take up very little desktop real estate and nearly every Mac laptop can mirror on to a monitor.

I have worked in situations where I had two or even three monitors side by side. Yes, it works but it also tends to give one a stiff neck after a while. I don't find that happening on the 27" because most movement is eyeballs only.
                Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
                Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
                iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

This may fall into the allegedly nonexistent category of stupid questions, but did you know you can hide the sidebar completely by clicking on the button just to the left of the sidebar in the Reunion window title bar? I ask because if one could make it even narrower, I don't see much reason to have it there at all.

Clicking it slides the sidebar into the side of the window, Opt-clicking slides the window out over the sidebar.
                  Last edited by ttl; 24 July 2012, 01:32 PM.
                  Tim Lundin
                  Heartland Family Graphics
                  http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Originally posted by ttl View Post
                    This may fall into the allegedly nonexistent category of stupid questions, but did you know you can hide the sidebar completely by clicking on the button just to the left of the sidebar in the Reunion window title bar? I ask because if one could make it even narrower, I don't see much reason to have it there at all.

Clicking it slides the sidebar into the side of the window, Opt-clicking slides the window out over the sidebar.
                    Thank you, I do know about the current options concerning the behaviour of the sidebar! I agree that making it too narrow would defeat its purpose, but I did say slightly narrower in my first message. I like the sidebar very much and use it all the time. However, I often move it off my screen approximately as far as the down arrow in the heading and I can still see enough in the sidebar itself for most purposes. It does, of course, mean that I lose the scroll bar function, but most of the time the search box is sufficient for my needs. It is true that it doesn't gain much space so is perhaps not worth the bother, but an icon only navbar would certainly make quite a difference.

Comment

Working...
                    X