This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Source Notes

I wish to make some detailed Source notes and be CERTAIN they'll be transferred via GEDCOM. I've used other programs that have a designated note for Sources. Is the Free Form Text Tab, Reunions equivalent?? I have read that its not reliable during GEDCOM export? I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Re: Source Notes

Ben Sayer has some information that might address your concern, on his Genealogy Tools site: http://genealogytools.com/gedcom-saf...e-source-type/

That particular article is about census image sources, but he may have other articles on the subject.

This article

is specifically about NOT using the free-form note tab for sources.

Comment

Hi,
      Thanks for your reply. Since posting this question a couple of weeks ago, I've since found the answers I was after with Ben Sayer at Genealogy Tools and through his Practical Citations course.
      S

Comment

Did you already receive the course? I don't see ordering or download info on his site yet for it.

If you already have the course, how do you like it?

Comment

Yes I'm doing the practical citations course.

http://practicalcitation.com/ you can put your name down for the next intake of people.

Changing software a couple of times and having to input a lot of your sources manually because certain fields weren't recognized between programs was my primary reason for doing the course.

It's really helped me a lot as I've always struggled with citing sources. It's helped me to recognize the key pieces of info I need to cite, instead of putting a lot of data in that isn't really relevant to FINDING the source and doing it in a way it can be safely transferred.
          S

Comment

Thanks! I signed up for the next group.

Comment

I would like to agree with suzivegimite's endorsement of Ben's new group. Because of a mix-up my signup was delayed but still accepted in the first group. I got "onboard" yesterday and learned LOTS just by reading the posts there. Ben gave us some homework I haven't started yet, but this promises to be a BIG help to me.

Comment

Working...
              X