X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade on 2 computers

I have Reunion 9.
    If I purchase the upgrade will the licence work on both my computers?
    Or
    Do I need to purchase the hard copy?

Re: Upgrade on 2 computers

Hi Judy,

You may use the license on more than one computer - see -

Kaye
    Kaye Mushalik
    -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
    -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
    -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

Thank you so much.

Comment

Originally posted by kmgenealogy View Post
        ... You may use the license on more than one computer - see -
        ... and from that URL/FAQ: "Important: If you plan to use Reunion on more than one Mac, be certain that you're always working with a local copy of the family file - that is, the family file should be on the hard drive of the Mac you're using (not accessed over a network ..."

Can someone explain why this is so? That is the way we have always worked, but ... I am working on setting up a network-accessible drive to hold all our data (i.e., essentially a household server) to reduce the risk of multiple copies of a file with the attendant coordination issues. Having a single copy of a given data file is much cleaner. What is inherent in Reunion that makes this impractical, impossible, or dangerous?
        Bob Emnett
        V9.0c, X10.10.5
        rosebob.emnett "at" yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Emnett View Post
          ... and from that URL/FAQ: "Important: If you plan to use Reunion on more than one Mac, be certain that you're always working with a local copy of the family file - that is, the family file should be on the hard drive of the Mac you're using (not accessed over a network ..."

Can someone explain why this is so? That is the way we have always worked, but ... I am working on setting up a network-accessible drive to hold all our data (i.e., essentially a household server) to reduce the risk of multiple copies of a file with the attendant coordination issues. Having a single copy of a given data file is much cleaner. What is inherent in Reunion that makes this impractical, impossible, or dangerous?
          Bob,

It is fine to have your Reunion file on a Network drive as long as you only access it from one computer at a time. If you were to access it from multiple computers at the same time you are likely to corrupt the file.

If you are to be the sole user but using two computers you will probably be OK as you are likely to only be on one computer or the other at the same time. However if say you and your wife want to use the same file on two computers at the same time that's a problem.

FYI - I two use two computers also and store my file in Dropbox. This has the same potential issues as a Network drive if you access the same file from different devices at the same time but it has a number of other advantages in my opinion.

a. Dropbox automatically keeps versions of your file for 30 days. So, if I do corrupt the file I can easily restore a prior version.

b. It also works like an off site backup in case of disaster

c. It's accessible from outside of my own home network.

Regards

Keith
          Keith Bage
          BAGE One-Name Study,
          www.bage.org.uk
          GOONS (member 4451)

Comment

Keith: Any degradation in the speed of response/action with regard to finding, entering data, etc., as compared to having the file local on your Mac?
            Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
            Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
            iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
              Keith: Any degradation in the speed of response/action with regard to finding, entering data, etc., as compared to having the file local on your Mac?
              No none that I have noticed Bob. Performance is very snappy, but of course with dropbox the file is effectively stored locally anyway (I presume its only syncing the 'delta' data).
              Keith Bage
              BAGE One-Name Study,
              www.bage.org.uk
              GOONS (member 4451)

Comment

Working...
              X