This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Large Web Report

I intend publishing my Family History on the web again after many years but am a little concerned that the size may be rather large because of my use of images at high resolution and PDFs that were formed from images of high resolution. The size is 4.5GB and contains about 1500 families.
    Is there some quick way that I can "optimise" the report so that is more streamlined?
    Or is there no reason to be concerned?
    Regards
    MichaelQ

Re: Large Web Report

Originally posted by MichaelQ View Post
    I intend publishing my Family History on the web again after many years but am a little concerned that the size may be rather large because of my use of images at high resolution and PDFs that were formed from images of high resolution. The size is 4.5GB and contains about 1500 families.
    Is there some quick way that I can "optimise" the report so that is more streamlined?
    Or is there no reason to be concerned?
    You can easily reduce the size of a pdf by reducing the resolution of the images. If you reduce them to screen resolution, the difference would only be noticed when it's printed out; you could include a note that you would be willing to provide a higher resolution file for printing on request. Many programs will do this fairly painlessly; I would use the "optimize" function in Adobe Acrobat. If you want to send me a copy of your large file, I could run it through Acrobat and you can see how large a reduction in size can be obtained.

On the other hand, people may not be so alarmed by large files these days.
    Dennis J. Cunniff
    Click here to email me

Comment

Re: Large Web Report

Originally posted by Dennis J. Cunniff View Post
      You can easily reduce the size of a pdf by reducing the resolution of the images. If you reduce them to screen resolution, the difference would only be noticed when it's printed out; you could include a note that you would be willing to provide a higher resolution file for printing on request. Many programs will do this fairly painlessly; I would use the "optimize" function in Adobe Acrobat. If you want to send me a copy of your large file, I could run it through Acrobat and you can see how large a reduction in size can be obtained.

On the other hand, people may not be so alarmed by large files these days.
      Thank you for you offer Dennis. I have worked out a method of "Batch Optimisation" of my PDFs in Acrobat after the report is finished. This has helped.

Keeping your last comment in mind I think I will proceed with the larger file size and see what happens.
      Regards
      MichaelQ

Comment

Working...
      X