This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learning Reunion 10

I've just now upgraded to V10 (So far love it), but I have a question that I don't seem to find an answer to in the manual. Can someone please advise?

I found that I had a male person in his own 'Family file" but no wife. I then learned that he was the son of a family already in the tree, but had not been listed in their Family File. So I dragged the person file to the clipboard and then dragged him from the clipboard to his rightful place as a son in the correct family file.

I hope what I did was the correct way to proceed. However, I can still see this person in the clipboard (no link icon showing) so I'm wondering if I can or should delete him from the clipboard. I don't want to make a mistake as I have an extensive note about this person in his note field.

This brings up another question. Is it preferable to enter information about a person, especially if it is quite extensive, in Multimedia or retain as a note?

I would be grateful to hear back from someone on this.
    Thanks
    Patricia

Re: Learning Reunion 10

As far as I know, it doesn't hurt anything to leave things in the clipboard. If you want to clear one item or the whole clipboard, just right/control click on any entry in the Clipboard. The popup menu will give you several possible actions -- among them to clear that entry or clear the clipboard.
    Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
    Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
    iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

My recommendation for almost any situation like this is, "when in doubt, make a backup copy."

After that, experiment however you want; Bob's advice is good. But if the results aren't what you like, you always have your backup copy to fall back on, and you'll be no worse off than when you started.

Plus it's always good practice anyway to have a backup copy somewhere else besides your hard drive in case of disaster.
      Tim Lundin
      Heartland Family Graphics
      http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Originally posted by Patricia Hansen View Post
        So I dragged the person file to the clipboard and then dragged him from the clipboard to his rightful place as a son in the correct family file.

I hope what I did was the correct way to proceed.
        Why did you first drop this person into the Clipboard? You can immediately drag and drop people from the People List (as previously from the index) as a child or parent to the Family Card.

Is it preferable to enter information about a person, especially if it is quite extensive, in Multimedia or retain as a note?
        I don't understand what you mean by this. Information that is stored in a Note (of a Person Card) doesn't quite compare to information kept in Multimedia, does it?!
        Theo W. Steenbergen
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        Focus: Friesland, Overijssel, Drenthe

Comment

This brings up another question. Is it preferable to enter information about a person, especially if it is quite extensive, in Multimedia or retain as a note?
          Matter of personal preference. Mine, when the note would be rather long, is to put a text or other file in Multimedia, and a note on the family card saying 'See doc in Multimedia.'

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Talibard View Post
            Matter of personal preference. Mine, when the note would be rather long, is to put a text or other file in Multimedia, and a note on the family card saying 'See doc in Multimedia.'
            Great idea Michael.
            Terry

Comment

Thank you to all who responded to my question. It would have been a better idea to drag the person from the sidebar to his respective parents family file; except I didn't quite understand that concept - this being my first shot at V.10 Next time I'll certainly know better how to perform this sort of task. Good idea too to back up my file. And Michael's advice to place lengthy documents in Multimedia and a note in the note field pointing to it, is well taken.

Thanks again to all. I suspect as I delve into v.10 there will be a few more things I'd like clarification on, so it's great to have this Help facility.
              Thanks again to all.
              Patricia

Comment

Working...
              X