This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Website creation using WordPress &/or MacFlux

Earlier this year, the Webmaster to the Genealogy Society of which I am a member passed away. The society accepted me as a volunteer to get the site going again. The former site was strictly HTML based. I am not HTML friendly.

I was wondering if anyone has used either or both of these programs to produce a Genealogy based site, and I'd like to hear from you, if so. Also, is there a theme appropriate for the site's purpose.

If the Reunion users know of sites I might visit, their URL's would be appreciated.

Louis Duet
    Terrebonne Genealogical Society
    Past Board Member & V. P.

Re: Website creation using WordPress &/or MacFlux

Originally posted by lduet View Post
    Earlier this year, the Webmaster to the Genealogy Society of which I am a member passed away. The society accepted me as a volunteer to get the site going again. The former site was strictly HTML based. I am not HTML friendly.

I was wondering if anyone has used either or both of these programs to produce a Genealogy based site, and I'd like to hear from you, if so. Also, is there a theme appropriate for the site's purpose.

If the Reunion users know of sites I might visit, their URL's would be appreciated.

Louis Duet
    Terrebonne Genealogical Society
    Past Board Member & V. P.
    Sorry to hear about the loss to your club. I too was in a club where we lost our "founder" and I got handed web hosting duties.

I run several WordPress sites and have used MacFlux as well. From what you describe with your current comfort level with HTML, MacFlux may not be for you as it is geared to a "seasoned" web designer. WordPress is a good choice for a club web site, it's free (wordpress.com) or you can publish to your own domain with wordpress.org.

If you need hosting (offers more options like customized email) the following link is for the web hosting company I use for my sites and I've been very happy with them. Full disclosure, it's an affiliate link, meaning if you click the link and signup for a hosting plan, I'll get a small compensation. http://www.bluehost.com/track/harringg/forums
    Reunion 11.0.7, Mac OS 10.10.3

Comment

If you don't want to get deep into HTML, check out two programs: RapidWeaver and Sandvox. Both are Mac friendly and keep coding behind the scenes.
      Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
      Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
      iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
        If you don't want to get deep into HTML, check out two programs: RapidWeaver and Sandvox. Both are Mac friendly and keep coding behind the scenes.
        Both are very good programs, I've been using RapidWeaver since 2006 (I've even produced some screencasts for using certain features of it), and I have only looked at Sandvox in demo mode. I'm not suggesting you don't go with one of them as they are powerful web design programs. For RapidWeaver, going with Isaiah's YourHead Stacks, designing a site is even easier and there is a big market of Stacks plugins.

As someone who's dealt with club/organization websites, and the loss of a web designer member, I can offer this suggestion. Go with the most "open" program, in this case Wordpress. If you code in RapidWeaver, and pass the site on to someone else, they need to purchase a copy of RapidWeaver to carry it along (and have a Macintosh). While there are more user friendly CMS (content management systems) now than there used to be, designing a site where others can add content is much more easily achievable in WordPress. If you don't want to maintain the site in WordPress anymore, you just pass along the login and password and there is no additional software for the person to download/purchase.

In the end, go with what you are comfortable with, just offering some "been there, done that" advice.
        Reunion 11.0.7, Mac OS 10.10.3

Comment

Take a look at Sandvox-made for the Mac- http://www.karelia.com/sandvox/. You can download a demo of the program. I think the demo allows you to build up to 5 pages. Be sure to click on & read their article for iWeb conversion "iWeb Users: Move Up to Sandvox" found near the bottom of the first page. I am rebuilding my old iWeb website to fit their program-using the "Telegraph Office Cedar" theme template because it looks like old paper. It's very straight forward, with some, but not a lot of, flexibility. That's fine with me as I just want to get my family info up on the web. I don't need a lot of fancy stuff.

You can see examples of websites others have done at - http://www.SandvoxSites.com/. There is a keywords list in the left sidebar that may be helpful to you.

Although I have a domain with GoDaddy.com, I'm looking into the Sandvox recommended A2 Hosting for a new domain and website hosting - http://www.a2hosting.com/sandvox-hosting because they are Mac-oriented and know the Sandvox program.

Disclaimer: I am not associated with Sandvox except as a, so far, satisfied customer.
          Kaye Mushalik
          -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
          -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
          -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

I also moved from iWeb on MobileMe to Sandvox on A2. So far, I'm happy with the results. Their staff very helpful (almost as good as Leister) and the price is right.

I'm not a beta tester but I did encounter something which resulted in their nailing a bug users had been encountering -- when there were many continuous pages with forward/reverse navigation -- but they couldn't duplicate. Too complicated to speak about here. Anyway, my iWeb file is helping them a lot on the conversion thing. They have advised me that they may not be able to achieve conversion of iWeb blogs due to some proprietary Apple coding.

More info: Yep and soon as I said it, Sandvox released a new beta that neatly took care of the blogs.
            Last edited by Bob White; 27 June 2012, 11:48 AM. Reason: Update of advice
            Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
            Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
            iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Thanks for all the help you've posted so far.

However, there are other questions I'd like to ask those who've replied, and anyone else willing to help, so I'd like to hear from you offline (3skywalker13@charter.net), if you wouldn't mind.

Again, thanks for what has been given and hoping to expand on that.

Louis Duet
              Mac Pro, 10.7.4
              MacBook Pro, 10.7.4
              iPhone 4S
              R9.oc, hoping to upgrade somewhere in all of this!

Comment

Hey Louis...
                Just came across this again. Wondering what you ended up doing?
                Kaye Mushalik
                -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
                -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
                -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

Working...
                X