This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Family View question

Is there an easy way to access the scroll bar in family view? Some of my ancestors had more than 4 children. Getting down to that 5+ child is a bummer.

Re: Another Family View question

Not sure what you mean by "the scroll bar in family view "

But if you move the mouse to the left or right side of the "+ Children" button, you can resize the children box.

One tip to keep in mind if you're using a smaller display: You can resize pictures that appear inside child buttons. Just click and drag the bottom-center of any child's thumbnail. The thumbnail size may determine the height of each button, depending on how many fields you're showing inside child buttons.
    Frank Leister
    Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post

But if you move the mouse to the left or right side of the "+ Children" button, you can resize the children box.

One tip to keep in mind if you're using a smaller display: You can resize pictures that appear inside child buttons. Just click and drag the bottom-center of any child's thumbnail. The thumbnail size may determine the height of each button, depending on how many fields you're showing inside child buttons.
      Thanks. Clicking to the right of the + button sort of worked and brings up the scroll bar so that you can move down to the 5+ child. It appears that the hidden scroll bar works the same as the one in Safari. However, in Reunion 10, if a family has 5+ children, I cannot hit the down button and bring up those 5+children.

Comment

Frank can confirm or correct... I believe this works just like a window in the Finder.

In the Finder, a scroll bar, whether vertical or horizontal, is not hidden but rather it is an on/off situation. e.g, If you make your window smaller so that some icons are hidden, the Finder turns on a scroll bar for you. The rectangle containing your children behaves exactly the same way. Widen a column enough and you will see a horizontal scroll bar appear at the bottom of the children rectangle.
        Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
        Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
        iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by F McRae View Post
          ...It appears that the hidden scroll bar works the same as the one in Safari. However, in Reunion 10, if a family has 5+ children, I cannot hit the down button and bring up those 5+children.
          OK, now I understand what you're describing. You're viewing children in a list and the default Mac OS X behavior is to hide scroll bars. (I forget exactly when Apple started doing this; but I dislike it, and, using System Preferences > General, my scroll bars are turned ON all the time.).

If you're looking at children in a list, you cannot press the Down arrow key or Page Down to scroll the kids — because these keys have other functions.

Instead, I move my mouse over the list and use the scroll wheel.

The best solution, imho, is to make the children area as large as you comfortably can, and then enable scroll bars all the time in your system prefs. That way, at least you'll have a visual clue when you've got more kids than can fit in the box.
          Last edited by Frank; 24 June 2012, 05:04 PM.
          Frank Leister
          Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

OK, now I understand what you're describing. You're viewing children in a list and the default Mac OS X behavior is to hide scroll bars. (I forget exactly when Apple started doing this; but I dislike it, and, using System Preferences > General, my scroll bars are turned ON all the time.).

snip
            Thanks. I've been using the scroll bar for a few days and this is exactly what I wanted.

Comment

Got that. But my child buttons are more than half white space. I look forward to the day when I can resize child buttons, so that I can see more children without having to scroll or having to give up more than 1/4 of the screen (give or take) to the child box. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Smith View Post
                ...my child buttons are more than half white space.
                Send us a screen shot, showing your family view with the children. If we could see what you're describing perhaps we would have some advice. Send to help@LeisterPro.com
                Frank Leister
                Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Send us a screen shot, showing your family view with the children. If we could see what you're describing perhaps we would have some advice. Send to help@LeisterPro.com
                  I'm going to back off on this. Did some more playing around with the size of the child box, and I think I have a better understanding of how to get more children to show. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X