This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Relationship that I don't want to see

I set myself up as the Source person, and am now seeing my grandmother's other spouses (4 of the 5 - the fifth is, of course, my grandfather) listed as my step grandfathers.

Short and to the point - I DO NOT want these people listed as any relation to me. I would much rather that they were listed as Grandmother's spouse #1, Grandfather, Grandmother's spouse #3, or similar (or even without number designations).

Or, a choice to designate people one way or the other (an Opt In or Opt Out of using "Step.")

I do not have "Step" checked in the Settings box for Relatives. Maybe I am misinterpreting what that box is for, but I would have thought that would take care of it.

In any case, is this something that can be changed? This is the only time I have ever seen a Relationship to which I truly, vehemently object. I would much rather go back to the way it has been before, if it cannot be fixed.

There are most definitely people in my files who my blood relatives have married, but I do not, under any circumstances, want to call them my step relatives!!!
    Last edited by Frank; 23 June 2012, 07:34 AM.

Re: Relationship that I don't want to see

If this were a motion at a formal meeting, I would quickly second it. My biological father was married five times and the other four, who I never met or had any kind of relationship with, are listed as a stepmother. And that same father gave up all legal rights to me when my mother's second husband legally adopted me.

While I am not an attorney, I labor under the impression that "step" goes away once the marriage to one's natural/legal parent ends whether it be by divorce or death or, like my case, adoption. I really dislike these other ladies being labeled as my stepmother.

Perhaps this needs a status choice as with divorce or children.

Clarification added: If I see these things on the working pages of Reunion, while I don't like it, I can ignore that it's there. But I don't want a chart that I send to someone or a web card showing this "phony" step status.
    Last edited by Bob White; 27 June 2012, 11:46 AM. Reason: Clarify my desire...
    Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
    Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
    iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

I'm in the same type of situation as Bob and I have to agree fully, we should be able to opt out of the "Step" label.

Comment

I have a "step" grandfather and he does not show up on my iPad or my Mac. I have done nothing to hide him.
        Terry

Comment

Not only is the "step-grandfather" tag distasteful to the original poster, but it is not factual anyway. It her grandfather was the fifth husband, then the previous spouses cannot be her step-grandfathers since she was a long way from being born when these marriages were in effect.

My daughter and her husband both had brief, childless marriages before finding each other, and those earlier spouses are not their children's step-parents! Any step relationship comes after, not before, the current relationship. To me this is like all those people who call descendants ancestors (a pet peeve of mine...)

I wonder of this has been fixed in Reunion, because it needs to be.

Comment

Working...
          X