This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is Location of Source in email

When using the email option as a source, the last pre-programed line is "location of source" but I'm not sure what goes there. And yes, I'm sure the answer will be obvious once some tells me. :-)
    Bradley Jansen
    OS 10.15.2 on a MacBook Pro using Reunion 12 and ReunionTouch 1.0.9

Re: What is Location of Source in email

That puzzled me too, but having used emails for over ten years, it is clearer to me now. i put, "My FH files" or the actual computer on which the email is stored. I used always to print out every email and file a paper copy with all other correspondence, but gradually am changing to a paperless system.

I ask myself how would I find that email again, ie your source, and take a screen shot of the email and store that in the person's multimedia , or print and scan the email if its on a PC and so on. Often it will be someone else's email, forwarded to me, but I still try to put the location of it as the actual place where I can view it.

I've already found weaknesses with calling the location, My iMac or similar because you change your computer over the years.

Emails in can be on iPad, phone or one of several computers, and I try to make the source location independent of the actual bit of kit.

hope that helps a little?

I've also had text messages as a source of information, and enter that as a ssource when it is. The location will usually be "such and such a file" as I always try to print out the text and include it, either as multimedia or as a note in a person's family card
    Rupert

Researching Large; Cuddon; Ford, Gadsdon and Fletcher

Comment

As a thought, Reunion has been able for quite some time now to store PDF files with multimedia items. So for things like email messages, you might simply "print" them into a PDF and add that to the source, after which the location might simply reflect that it's attached to the source!
      Montgomery, Alabama

Comment

Seems to me an email, not being a physical object like a book or a piece of paper, doesn't really have a location. I use only the following fields for email sources: Author, Title, Subject, Date - and of course I attach a file (mostly .rtf) to the multimedia of that source.

Comment

My approach is to show a location of source of sorts. I show the path to where it's saved on my computer. Eg documents > family history> emails> family surname etc etc. this ensures I can find it even if I'm having a seniors moment!

Comment

This is helpful. I printed the email as a PDF. However I am not sure how to add the PDF to the source. I assume I somehow add it to the source that appears under the Event I am trying to show a source for, but I don't know how to do that.

Thanks very much for help.

Comment

With each source, you can add a "multimedia" item, so once you've made your pdf file of the email, click and drag it to the multimedia section of the source - the manual explains how to do this in more detail. And then whenever you click on that source in future, the actual email can be accessed by clicking first on the source and then on its multimedia part. Does that help you?

I think the location of an email as a source can be significant. Ok , so most will be "on my FH files" or whatever your version of that is, but I have seen emails shown to me as paper by others; as emails on someone's else laptop, e.g. at a wedding or funeral reception; copies of an email now not accessible because a computer crashed; copies of emails on the files of someone who passed away; an email which someone will not pass on for personal or sentimental means; and there are probably more.

So maybe there is a bit more to it than just, on my files". As ever, ask yourself, "how can I see that evidence", to illustrate what your source is.
              Rupert

Researching Large; Cuddon; Ford, Gadsdon and Fletcher

Comment

Working...
              X