This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Family Group Sheet

How do I make a Family Group Sheet without actually printing it? I v9 I could create a group sheet and see it on screen, then print it (either PDF or hard copy) if I wanted to. It was a great way to check how source information was being listed.

Now the only thing you can do is print a group sheet (either PDF or hard copy), then look at it for problems. Then go back and fix it, and make and print a new group sheet.

Re: Family Group Sheet

When the print window comes up after clicking the Print button, you can click the Preview button. If you don't like what you see, you can close the window or click the cancel button to cancel printing.
    Tim Lundin
    Heartland Family Graphics
    http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Originally posted by ttl View Post
      When the print window comes up after clicking the Print button, you can click the Preview button. If you don't like what you see, you can close the window or click the cancel button to cancel printing.
      That is true, but I should be able to see the Family Group Sheet without going into the print dialog box for the OS.

Comment

Originally posted by jmayes View Post
        That is true, but I should be able to see the Family Group Sheet without going into the print dialog box for the OS.
        True but you have to send it someplace to view it. Your choices are shown in this screenshot:
        Attached Files
        Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
        Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
        iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

So it looks like the old choice between "RTF Text File" and "Plain Text File" has been replaced with just "Text File", and the choice between "Printer" and "Print Preview" has been replaced with just "Printer", with the preview being relegated to the second screen in the latter case.

I can understand the reasoning behind demoting Preview, since there are options on the Print dialog that will affect how the page is laid out (such as paper size), and hence how it should be previewed as well.

But for the text output, which does the new "Text File" option correspond to? Does it also bring up a second screen to allow picking a kind of text output?

By the way, for sharing info, I've often found that it is useful to generate small web reports by marking everyone on the families of interest, creating a Family Group Sheet for all pages with a marked spouse, with the output as Web Folder, and then sending the whole folder. It makes it easier for the recipient to navigate.
          My Home Page: http://tpettit.best.vwh.net/

Comment

Originally posted by TeriPettit View Post
            ........But for the text output, which does the new "Text File" option correspond to? Does it also bring up a second screen to allow picking a kind of text output?........
            The save button changes to Save Text File. Clicking that gives a standard navigation dialog defaulted to the Reunion Files > Reports folder. Clicking OK saves the file in .rtf format.
            Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
            Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
            iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

The RTF file is ugly, and I should not have to output the file to the print dialog box in order to see the output itself. It would be the equivalent of having no way to look at a pedigree chart without printing it (either in preview, PDF or hardcopy) first.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
                True but you have to send it someplace to view it.
                You did not have to do that in v9

Comment

Originally posted by jmayes View Post
                  You did not have to do that in v9
                  You had to either send it to Print Preview or to your preferred word processor to preview it in R9.

You are still able to preview the Family Group Sheet before printing, it's just done slightly differently - instead of having a "Print Preview" option in the Destination drop-down, you select Printer and then click the "Preview" button in the Print dialog that drops down.
                  Mark Harrison
                  Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                    You are still able to preview the Family Group Sheet before printing, it's just done slightly differently - instead of having a "Print Preview" option in the Destination drop-down, you select Printer and then click the "Preview" button in the Print dialog that drops down.
                    I know, but in R9 all you had to do was...

Go to the "Create" menu and choose "Family Group Sheet..." and then hit enter when the dialog box came up.

Two steps, that's all.

Now I have to click on "Reports" in the Nav bar, click on "Family Group Sheet", Click "print", and then select the PDF drop down menu and choose "Open in Preview".

It's now four steps; two different programs (Reunion and Preview) and the OS (print dialog box)!!!!

Please put it back the way it was!

Comment

Working...
                    X