PDA

View Full Version : Is Reunion 9 universal or will it still use Rosetta?

George Chapman
03 March 2007, 09:19 PM
I see Reunion 9 is Cocoa based so does that mean they have not made it universal to run on the Intel Mac without having to use Rosetta?

Deb
03 March 2007, 09:45 PM
I see Reunion 9 is Cocoa based so does that mean they have not made it universal to run on the Intel Mac without having to use Rosetta?Hi George,

Reunion 9 is Universal:-)

plazman30
05 March 2007, 04:19 PM
Reunion 9 is Universal:-)Is there a reason that you don't use Apple's Universal Binary logo on your website to show people the app is universal? The only thing your site says is that it works on Intel Macs, but almost anything works on Intel macs with Rosetta. The site is a tad confusing.

Andy

Robert Kehrer
05 March 2007, 07:17 PM
Here's the URL to the Logo. Just download the agreement, sign and fax back - then immediately start using the logos (no need to wait for any response from Apple)

http://developer.apple.com/softwarelicensing/agreements/maclogo.html

Is there a reason that you don't use Apple's Universal Binary logo on your website to show people the app is universal? The only thing your site says is that it works on Intel Macs, but almost anything works on Intel macs with Rosetta. The site is a tad confusing.

Andy

BiffoBear
06 March 2007, 08:09 PM
I see Reunion 9 is Cocoa based so does that mean they have not made it universal to run on the Intel Mac without having to use Rosetta?For all applications in OS X, you can tell if they are universal or PowerPC only by using Finder's Get Info command.

In the Info window the General section will have "Kind: Application (Universal)" for universal binaries and "Kind: Application (PowerPC)" for PowerPC apps that will run under Rosetta on Intel Macs.

Hope that helps!

Regards,

Martin

George Chapman
06 March 2007, 09:58 PM
For all applications in OS X, you can tell if they are universal or PowerPC only by using Finder's Get Info command.

In the Info window the General section will have "Kind: Application (Universal)" for universal binaries and "Kind: Application (PowerPC)" for PowerPC apps that will run under Rosetta on Intel Macs.

Hope that helps!That works if you already have the download. I wanted to know before I spent the money on the upgrade. Judging by the remarks on this board, I think I'll wait for awhile.

jep111
07 March 2007, 01:47 PM
That works if you already have the download. I wanted to know before I spent the money on the upgrade. Judging by the remarks on this board, I think I'll wait for awhile.I do not understand your problem. Deb Stuller (a real support person from Leister) replied that it is universal, and you can download the demo for free (which would allow you to examine for yourself). No apparent risk to you at all.

John

George Chapman
07 March 2007, 02:59 PM
I do not understand your problem. Deb Stuller (a real support person from Leister) replied that it is universal, and you can download the demo for free (which would allow you to examine for yourself). No apparent risk to you at all.

John

In now know that. I was explaining the reason for the original question I am now satisfied. I have no other problem. Deb answered my question. Thank You

rwanderman
07 March 2007, 06:21 PM
I came to this thread because I'm a MacBook Pro user and I have Reunion 7. I was poking around to see if there's a universal upgrade and saw Reunion 8 with not one mention nor icon of the fact that it's a Universal install.

I'm sorry, but the support person here is wrong: there is no precedent with any Mac software of buying and/or downloading something and doing "get info" to find out if it's a universal install. That's ridiculous.

Post the information at the web site along with the logo which you've been told how to get from Apple. It costs nothing and will let us know quickly and easily whether the product is right for us.

I was just about to pay for this upgrade and may yet, but the support reply to this incredibly simple question gives me pause.

Tom Robinson
07 March 2007, 07:09 PM
I'm sorry, but the support person here is wrong: there is no precedent with any Mac software of buying and/or downloading something and doing "get info" to find out if it's a universal install. That's ridiculous.
The only official reply from Leister on this thread has been from Deb who simply confirmed Reunion 9 (not 8) is Universal--less than 30 mins after the q was asked. All the other messages are fellow Reunion users donating their time to help others--check under the username where it says 'member' or 'technical support'.

rwanderman
08 March 2007, 10:57 PM
The only official reply from Leister on this thread has been from Deb who simply confirmed Reunion 9 (not 8) is Universal--less than 30 mins after the q was asked. All the other messages are fellow Reunion users donating their time to help others--check under the username where it says 'member' or 'technical support'.

I think you miss the point here. I understand you're all loyal users and are here to help out. The point of this is not thread or discussion group etiquette, it's how Macintosh applications that are universsal installs are generally listed.

There is no information on the site that confirms that reunion 9 is a universal install. One should not have to come to this discussion to ask or download it and get info in the Finder to find out. It's a simple thing to list and generally, the logo is used so that people who are used to seeing it will be reassured that everyone is speaking the same language.

I own Reunion and was about to upgrade to 9. I have an Intel Mac. It's all really quite simple. Make it clear, do more business.

Bob Goode
08 March 2007, 11:35 PM
I think you miss the point here. I understand you're all loyal users and are here to help out. The point of this is not thread or discussion group etiquette, it's how Macintosh applications that are universsal installs are generally listed.

There is no information on the site that confirms that reunion 9 is a universal install. One should not have to come to this discussion to ask or download it and get info in the Finder to find out. It's a simple thing to list and generally, the logo is used so that people who are used to seeing it will be reassured that everyone is speaking the same language.

I own Reunion and was about to upgrade to 9. I have an Intel Mac. It's all really quite simple. Make it clear, do more business.

Well stated.

However, I checked at the Reunion site and found the following statement under the topic: New Features in Reunion 9

Reunion 9 is a Universal Binary application with full, native support for Intel and PPC Macintosh computers.

http://www.leisterpro.com/doc/version9/newfeatures/newfeatures.php

In fact, the information was the first comment in the new features section.

Tom Robinson
09 March 2007, 12:07 AM
True, I did only answer half your post, the part where you attributed other people's messages as official support from Leister. But I didn't miss the point.

Should Leister say on the site it's Universal? Definitely. But Reunion 9's only just been released, Leister is working very hard on fixing bugs, this suggestion was only made a few days ago, and the answer is easily obtainable from other sources--let's cut them some slack.

DJFriar
14 March 2007, 10:55 PM
I came to this thread because I'm a MacBook Pro user and I have Reunion 7. I was poking around to see if there's a universal upgrade and saw Reunion 8 with not one mention nor icon of the fact that it's a Universal install.

Post the information at the web site along with the logo which you've been told how to get from Apple. It costs nothing and will let us know quickly and easily whether the product is right for us.

I was just about to pay for this upgrade and may yet, but the support reply to this incredibly simple question gives me pause.

Just download the dang thing and see if its better. What's so hard about that? I coudl care less if an app is universal or not. I download it and try it. If it runs well, who cares what technology they used?

Having said that, I never used Reunion 7, but I did use 8 extensively, and have upgraded to 9. ( is much much faster on a MacBook Pro, so I highly reccomend you download the trial and check it out. The only downside is you can't import an existing file for the trial.

But as for the universal thing or not, most of you are being way to concerned over a relatively meaningless designation. Rosetta or not, if its fast and does the job, it shouldn't matter what tech its using.

George Chapman
15 March 2007, 12:29 PM
Just download the dang thing and see if its better. What's so hard about that? I coudl care less if an app is universal or not. I download it and try it. If it runs well, who cares what technology they used?

Having said that, I never used Reunion 7, but I did use 8 extensively, and have upgraded to 9. ( is much much faster on a MacBook Pro, so I highly reccomend you download the trial and check it out. The only downside is you can't import an existing file for the trial.

But as for the universal thing or not, most of you are being way to concerned over a relatively meaningless designation. Rosetta or not, if its fast and does the job, it shouldn't matter what tech its using.

This debate has gone way further than I originally thought it would when I asked a simple question, but being universal is not meaningless and I appreciate that the Reunion staff knew that and made the software universal. If you understand what being universal means, no one would call it meaningless. If I had read the original page more closely I would not have asked the question as someone earlier pointed out. However if you can't import an existing file into the trial version ( I don't know if this is true or not) then you couldn't use that to determine speed. Hopefully this question is answered.