New user cannot open family file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New user cannot open family file

Hello, I am a new user of Reunion, and I am still running on the Demo account. I was planning on buying the full programme this weekend. However when I went to show my partner what the programme was all about I found I could not open my family file.

I can open a mini test file one I made with just 3 people, and also the sample family one (the Kennedys). However, when I go to open Oliver Family, i get directed to the 'put in your key or open with demo' page, but when i click 'open with demo', nothing happens at all.

Is there a simple fix for this? I dont want to buy the programme only to find it doesnt work. My iMac is elderly (2010) runs Sierra, and generaly works fine. I am not terribly computer literate.

Thank you
    K Oliver.

Re: New user cannot open family file

Originally posted by K Oliver View Post
    Hello, I am a new user of Reunion, and I am still running on the Demo account. I was planning on buying the full programme this weekend. However when I went to show my partner what the programme was all about I found I could not open my family file.

I can open a mini test file one I made with just 3 people, and also the sample family one (the Kennedys). However, when I go to open Oliver Family, i get directed to the 'put in your key or open with demo' page, but when i click 'open with demo', nothing happens at all.

Is there a simple fix for this? I dont want to buy the programme only to find it doesnt work. My iMac is elderly (2010) runs Sierra, and generaly works fine. I am not terribly computer literate.

Thank you
    K Oliver.
    I'm not sure where the "Oliver Family" family file is from; I'm guessing that it was from a program you used to use, or that it's a GEDCOM file.

If that's right, you're trying to import a file into the demo program, and the demo doesn't allow importing or exporting a file. That limitation goes away when the key is purchased.
    Dennis J. Cunniff
    Click here to email me

Comment

Just speculation here... The Kennedy file has 49 people. If the demo is adding up people, the 3 in the created file would bring the total to 52 and demo mode is limited to 50 people. The limitations listed don't specify if the limit of 50 is an adding up of numbers but... if it is adding up, there's the answer.

Hopefully, one of the Leister staff will give us a definitive answer.
      Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
      Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
      iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

The Oliver file was made by me on the reunion demo. I was going to wait until I brought the full programme before importing my sisters gedcom for the Irwin family.

And yes, I would have been well over the demo number of people (I think it is 80) so I hope it is just that. I am in New Zealand, so I am out of time sync with most of you. I will try again today, (Sunday) and try deleting the Kennedy’s, and if I have no luck I will try contacting Leister on my Tuesday.

Thank you for your help, I’ll give it a go this afternoon.

Kate.

Comment

In any case, Kate, you can be sure that Reunion WILL work with your Mac! AND that Leister will always help with any problems you may have.
          Have fun,
          Jamie.

Comment

........and if I have no luck I will try contacting Leister on my Tuesday......
            You may want to wait for the USA's Tuesday. Our Monday is the Labor Day holiday.
            Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
            Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
            iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

And yes, I would have been well over the demo number of people (I think it is 80) so I hope it is just that. I am in New Zealand, so I am out of time sync with most of you. I will try again today, (Sunday) and try deleting the Kennedy’s, and if I have no luck I will try contacting Leister on my Tuesday.

Thank you for your help, I’ll give it a go this afternoon.

Kate.
              Hi Kate - hope you have got it going right now, but where are you in NZ? There are several of us around that can help you - I'm in Dunedin and Southland so get in touch if I can help you out. I've been using Reunion and it's predecessor for almost 30 years.

Kaye

Comment

Working...
              X