Name Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Name Change

What is the best way to enter a name change? My great aunt was born Consuelo Vanderbilt Maguritte Knowles in 1896. Some time before 1900, it appears her parents changed her name to Viola Margaret Knowles, official or unofficial - I do not know. She went by that name from that time on on all official records.
    Last edited by eventide; 15 August 2018, 03:29 PM.

Re: Name Change

Originally posted by eventide View Post
    What is the best way to enter a name change? My great aunt was born Consuelo Vanderbilt Maguritte Knowles in 1896. Some time before 1900, it appears her parents changed her name to Viola Margaret Knowles, official or unofficial - I do not know. She went by that name from that time on on all official records.
    Everyone has their own solution to this. Where the name change was at age 4 I might enter their adult name in the name fields and the original name and an explanation in the notes.

If the name change occurred as an adult I'd be more likely to do something like:

first name: Consuelo Vanderbilt Maguritte, later Viola Margaret
    surname: Knowles
    Dennis J. Cunniff
    Click here to email me

Comment

I would put the name(s) at birth inside square brackets followed by the changed name(s):
      "[Consuelo Vanderbilt Maguritte] Viola Margaret". A "find" on any of these will return this person. Put your explanation in the notes.
      Steve Thomas
      iMac and MacBook Pro, macOS Ventura 13.5, iPhone 12 Pro Max iOS 16.6, iPad Pro, Reunion 13 and Reunion Touch.

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis J. Cunniff View Post
        Everyone has their own solution to this. Where the name change was at age 4 I might enter their adult name in the name fields and the original name and an explanation in the notes..........
        I have several childhood cases and a couple of adult cases like this. This is exactly what I have done in all cases. In the notes, if I have the information, I've included the date of the change, the court, etc.. AND, if I know why, I also noted that.
        Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
        Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
        iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Thanks All!

Comment

Working...
          X