Birth/Baptism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Birth/Baptism

I used PAF for years past it's "sell by" date. It had one feature that I really, really miss: There was an option to automatically use baptism/christening dates when birth dates weren't available. It did this on the family view screens, on charts, etc. I have lines that start here, with birth dates, but go back to Switzerland where there are a couple hundred years with only baptism records. Is there a way to do this in Reunion & ReunionTouch?

Re: Birth/Baptism

Originally posted by evie rice View Post
    I used PAF for years past it's "sell by" date. It had one feature that I really, really miss: There was an option to automatically use baptism/christening dates when birth dates weren't available. It did this on the family view screens, on charts, etc. I have lines that start here, with birth dates, but go back to Switzerland where there are a couple hundred years with only baptism records. Is there a way to do this in Reunion & ReunionTouch?
    When dates are included in the Name Setup layout setting of a chart, event fields (like Baptism or Burial) can be substituted for Birth or Death (respectively) when the Birth or Death fields are empty. To set this up, choose Reunion -> Preferences and click on Fields. Then, select the Birth or Death field in the listing of Event fields on the left. Finally, select the appropriate field to be substituted.

Additional information about using substitute fields for Birth or Death can be found in your manual by searching for "substitute" (without the quotes). To access the manual, open your family file and choose Help -> Contents.

The suggestion above does not apply to the family view. However, you may choose to include both Birth and Baptism (and/or Death and Burial) as default fields on the family view OR use a Smart List to automatically include Event and/or Fact fields that are not included on the Family View by default. Additional information adding fields to a view and using the smart lists can be found in your manual by searching for "add field view" and "smart list view," respectively.

I hope you find this information helpful
    Deb Stuller
    Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Reunion will substitute christening or baptism for birth on charts where birth is missing.

Preferences --> Fields --> Birth

Set "If no birth date exists, substitute" menu to "Baptism" or "Christening"

Similarly, it will substitute burials for a missing death:

Preferences --> Fields --> Death

Set "If no death date exists, substitute" to "Burial"

More in the help under "Substitute events"
      Dennis J. Cunniff
      Click here to email me

Comment

Originally posted by Deb View Post
        When dates are included in the Name Setup layout setting of a chart, event fields (like Baptism or Burial) can be substituted for Birth or Death (respectively) when the Birth or Death fields are empty. To set this up, choose Reunion -> Preferences and click on Fields. Then, select the Birth or Death field in the listing of Event fields on the left. Finally, select the appropriate field to be substituted.

Additional information about using substitute fields for Birth or Death can be found in your manual by searching for "substitute" (without the quotes). To access the manual, open your family file and choose Help -> Contents.

The suggestion above does not apply to the family view. However, you may choose to include both Birth and Baptism (and/or Death and Burial) as default fields on the family view OR use a Smart List to automatically include Event and/or Fact fields that are not included on the Family View by default. Additional information adding fields to a view and using the smart lists can be found in your manual by searching for "add field view" and "smart list view," respectively.

I hope you find this information helpful
        Thank you, that's a big help. Now I guess I should put the rest of my request in the Wish subject, as doing the same on Family Views would also be incredibly helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis J. Cunniff View Post
          Reunion will substitute christening or baptism for birth on charts where birth is missing.

Preferences --> Fields --> Birth

Set "If no birth date exists, substitute" menu to "Baptism" or "Christening"

Similarly, it will substitute burials for a missing death:

Preferences --> Fields --> Death

Set "If no death date exists, substitute" to "Burial"

More in the help under "Substitute events"
          Thanks, Dennis. Got it!

Comment

Sure, in the Family View window the christen dates will be used as birth dates, the same with burial/death.
            That's fine.

But two weeks ago I imported a new file with 10.000 persons, all of them born between 1500, and 1700.
            All of them whithout birth date and death date, only christen date, and burial date.

Now, if I try to find persons which died at age of less than 12 years, Reunion can't find no person.

I want to put a (†) sign after their names because they died as children.

But that seems to be impossible, because Reunion CAN'T find these people, because they don't have "real" dates for birth, and death.

Is there any way, to double the christen date to birth date, and double the burial date to death date?

At that time (16th to 17th century), there's a difference between 3 days only between that dates, at most...

I tried to find any solution since more than 4 days, but can't find any.

Can you help me, please?

Comment

You can use Reunion ------> Preferences ------> Fields ------> Move Fields to move the baptism field to the birth field, and the burial field to the death field.

But this will move the data, not copy it.

If you're good with a good text editor and GREP you could alter the GEDCOM file by copying the baptism data to a new field for birth, and same with the burial data to copy that to a death event, then import it into your file.

Or you could use Reunion's Export function to export the data to a spreadsheet and then use spreadsheet functions to find the difference between the burial date and the baptism date and identify all of those that are less than 12 years, and then do your editing in Reunion.

Roger
              Roger Moffat
              http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
              http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

Working...
              X