Show mutiple geocoded places on a map?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Show mutiple geocoded places on a map?

I'm wondering if there is a way to show multiple geocoded places on one map, from more than one person, using Reunion. It does not appear possible, after searching the manual as well as this forum

Many English ancestors lived in tiny villages very near each other, southwest of Leicester. I was hoping to be able to automatically make a map where each of these places was highlighted/pinned, so that if/when I create a book about the families that came from there (all on the same branch of my tree), it would show their proximity to each other.

As far as I can tell, Reunion can only show multiple places on a map IF one person came from those multiple places. I don't see any easy way of selecting multiple people, or multiple places, and showing those places all on one map. I suppose this has something to do with the fact that Google can only find one place at a time and drop a pin on it.

Having created Google maps with multiple pins for genealogy research trips, I know how to do that in Google Maps. It's a little tedious but looks like the only way to get what I'm asking for. Does anything else think this feature would be useful in Reunion?

Would appreciate it if a Reunion staffer might respond here to tell us if it's even technologically possible to do what I'm asking about. If so, and others agree with me, then I'd like to see this on the Wish List, thanks.

Re: Show mutiple geocoded places on a map?

I recently asked a similar question “ is there a mechanism to export places directly to google maps”. I did not receive any responses to that post.
    ``````````````````````````````
    Grant

Comment

Originally posted by Susan Freas Rogers View Post
      I'm wondering if there is a way to show multiple geocoded places on one map, from more than one person, using Reunion...
      Not from more than one person.
      Would appreciate it if a Reunion staffer might respond here to tell us if it's even technologically possible to do what I'm asking about...
      Technically, it would be possible to add the capability to map places for more than one person. The main reason we've not crossed that bridge, so far, is that the map would very quickly turn into spaghetti. I.e., the usability of the mapping feature would diminish as additional places from additional people are added to the map.
      Frank Leister
      Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by gathompson56 View Post
        I recently asked a similar question “ is there a mechanism to export places directly to google maps”.
        There is no mechanism in Reunion to export places directly to Google Maps, other than the one-person-at-a-time feature in the Person menu and Event Place menu ("Map all places for this person").
        Frank Leister
        Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
          There is no mechanism in Reunion to export places directly to Google Maps, other than the one-person-at-a-time feature in the Person menu and Event Place menu ("Map all places for this person").
          Thanks Frank.
          ``````````````````````````````
          Grant

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
            Technically, it would be possible to add the capability to map places for more than one person. The main reason we've not crossed that bridge, so far, is that the map would very quickly turn into spaghetti. I.e., the usability of the mapping feature would diminish as additional places from additional people are added to the map.
            With all due respect, isn't that for us (customers) to decide rather than you wonderful folks on the programming end? If I created a map and it looked like spaghetti, I'd trash it (as many of us end up trashing initial outputs of Charts and Reports because they just don't turn out to be what we want) and start again with fewer places and/or fewer people.

Also, I don't know how map scaling works relative to mapping out of Reunion, but even if, for example, six towns were so close together that they piled on top of each other on a Google map, I would zoom in until they were separated (and hope it all still fit on my screen).

Comment

I would also be very much interested to see multiple geocodes places on a map, and I agree as users, we should be able to adapt the number of places and / or the granularity of the places depending on our needs.

It would also be valuable to be able to extract the places with their related usage, as we can do for the last names

as already requested as well on this forum, it would also be valuable to have the index of places in the web report as we have it in the book report.

Comment

One thing I would like to see is something I'm attempting to do in Family Atlas, which is map a family line. For example instead to selecting a person and map them, have the option to select paternal or maternal lines to map the migration of families.

Comment

Originally posted by keithcstone View Post
                  have the option to select paternal or maternal lines to map the migration of families.
                  This is a great idea! That would be very useful, and that would be another way to focus.

Comment

Working...
                  X