Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Link multimedia to individual or source?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Link multimedia to individual or source?

I don't normally link multimedia to sources in Reunion. I WISH Reunion would allow you to link multimedia to an Event, but it doesn't. I have always just added multimedia to a person's multimedia window for access to them. In my experience, some other programs (which I do use on occasion) don't handle the multimedia link to sources well and you end up with a lot of file paths showing where you don't want them. I am also a Source Lumper, reusing certain sources (census, death records, etc.) many times. Is there ANY advantage that I'm overlooking to linking multimedia to a source rather than to an individual? Amy disadvantage?
    Kathy
    Reunion 13
    MacBook Air, Mac OS 13.5.2

Re: Link multimedia to individual or source?

I’m a sometimes lumper as well, but a consistent linker of multimedia to sources. Of course, it’s merely a matter of taste and personal preference, but it makes sense to me that a picture of a source would be matched with that source. It ends up that some sources do indeed have multiple links to multiple files, but the naming conventions I use for those files tend to help sort them. For instance, if I cite a specific page from a (Swedish) household examination record in a source detail for an event, the JPEG or PDF file will have that page number in the filename, and that can be seen in the multimedia list for a source.

FWIW, I think a case can be made for linking source multimedia to both people and sources so as to make it convenient to access the image from either path. I’ve done this myself from time to time for particularly interesting or significant documents. Also sometimes gravestones.
    Last edited by ttl; 22 December 2017, 10:51 AM.
    Tim Lundin
    Heartland Family Graphics
    http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Thanks, Tim. I appreciate your input. Your idea of linking to both is a good idea in some cases.
      Kathy
      Reunion 13

Comment

Originally posted by Kathy C View Post
        ...Is there ANY advantage that I'm overlooking to linking multimedia to a source rather than to an individual?
        I attach the image because I'm likely to want to take another look at it if I'm doubting or checking a fact. An individual might have too many sources attached for convenience, so when you want to check a particular fact—say the death date—you might have to go looking through lots. But if the death date, or any other fact, has its source attached, as it should, and if the image is attached right there, then it's going to be more obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Talibard View Post
          I attach the image because I'm likely to want to take another look at it if I'm doubting or checking a fact. An individual might have too many sources attached for convenience, so when you want to check a particular fact—say the death date—you might have to go looking through lots. But if the death date, or any other fact, has its source attached, as it should, and if the image is attached right there, then it's going to be more obvious.
          Thanks, Michael, for your reply. I am, most definitely a lumper, using the citation Detail to differentiate between uses. So, will adding the image to a lumped source have any downside to it? In Reports, for instance?
          Kathy
          Reunion 13

Comment

Originally posted by Kathy C View Post
            ...Is there ANY advantage that I'm overlooking to linking multimedia to a source rather than to an individual? Amy disadvantage?
            Multimedia scans of Vital Records are often the source for several events for different people. Two examples that come to mind: A marriage record often gives information about the groom, bride, both of their parents and sometimes a previous spouse. A Census schedule will give information about everyone in the family dwelling, and sometimes the parents of each person. In my opinion, linking the multimedia to a source and then citing the same source in multiple places is the better option.
            Steve Thomas
            iMac and MacBook Pro, macOS Ventura 13.5, iPhone 12 Pro Max iOS 16.6, iPad Pro, Reunion 13 and Reunion Touch.

Comment

Originally posted by thomprod View Post
              In my opinion, linking the multimedia to a source and then citing the same source in multiple places is the better option.
              Just so!

Comment

Working...
              X