Multiple descents from the same person

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple descents from the same person

I would like to be able to see what number of my potential ancestors I have identified in each generation, and compare it with the nominal maximum. My problem is that I am descended multiple times from the same individuals (and often couples) - sometime via as many as 6 of their children. My list of relatives shows each of these people only once, reasonably enough.

Is there a way of achieving my goal, apart from drawing an enormous family tree and simply counting them all?

Am I being very dense?

Jamie.

Re: Multiple descents from the same person

Originally posted by Barnbarroch View Post
    I would like to be able to see what number of my potential ancestors I have identified in each generation, and compare it with the nominal maximum.
    You could create an ancestor report to any given generation and see which Ahnentafel numbers in that generation, if any, are missing.
    Dennis J. Cunniff
    Click here to email me

Comment

Ingenious, Dennis, thank you! It's better than anything I'd thought of!

Comment

Originally posted by Barnbarroch View Post
        ........problem is that I am descended multiple times from the same individuals (and often couples) - sometime via as many as 6 of their children. My list of relatives shows each of these people only once, reasonably enough........Is there a way of achieving my goal, apart from drawing an enormous family tree and simply counting them all?.....Am I being very dense?

Jamie.
        Probably not and neither is Dennis.... but I am being dense. With the exception of inter-marriage, I am being dense here and not be able to picture descending multiple times via various children???? Note: I'm only thinking here in the biological sense.

Dennis has a good solution but I just lack understanding of the premise for the problem.
        Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
        Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
        iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
          Probably not and neither is Dennis.... but I am being dense. With the exception of inter-marriage, I am being dense here and not be able to picture descending multiple times via various children???? Note: I'm only thinking here in the biological sense.

Dennis has a good solution but I just lack understanding of the premise for the problem.
          Well, maybe you are being too strict in your definition of intermarriage? Or on the otherhand. why are you excluding intermarriage? It can happen generations later, so it's not always obvious. For example, among my ancestors is Thomas Josselyn and his wife Rebecca Jude. They came to Massachusetts in 1635, and had 9 children. I'm descended from three of them, but the first intermarriage didn't occur until 1689, and the second in 1750.
          Dennis J. Cunniff
          Click here to email me

Comment

Perhaps I wasn't clear... When I said "except for inter-marriage....yada-yada", I meant I can see multiples when there is inter-marriage. It's outside of there being inter-marriage that I can't picture this happening. At any rate, not a big deal.

Comment

Perhaps I wasn't clear... When I said "except for inter-marriage....yada-yada", I meant I can see multiples when there is inter-marriage. It's outside of there being inter-marriage that I can't picture this happening. At any rate, not a big deal.
              Well, I can't see it happening except for intermarriage either. I guess my question is why you are looking for a reason other than intermarriage?
              Dennis J. Cunniff
              Click here to email me

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis J. Cunniff View Post
                Well, I can't see it happening except for intermarriage either. I guess my question is why you are looking for a reason other than intermarriage?
                The expansive tone of his original question led me astray! Bad Bob!

Comment

The expansive tone of his original question led me astray! Bad Bob!
                  I was thinking you might be using an intermarriage feature of Reunion in some way. Because I haven't
                  Dennis J. Cunniff
                  Click here to email me

Comment

Working...
                  X