How can I connect two pedigree lines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can I connect two pedigree lines?

Hello- Is there a way that I can see a connection between myself and, say, a distant cousin? I want to make a graphic chart with myself and her, then all our ancestors until the branches merge with one person. I know that it's possible to including EVERYONE, but I'd just like to show only the direct bloodline without all the cousins and siblings.
    So, the chart would look like a regular family tree, but only the DIRECT line of ancestors would be show- linking us.
    Thanks.

Re: How can I connect two pedigree lines?

Originally posted by D Nowak View Post
    Hello- Is there a way that I can see a connection between myself and, say, a distant cousin? I want to make a graphic chart with myself and her, then all our ancestors until the branches merge with one person. I know that it's possible to including EVERYONE, but I'd just like to show only the direct bloodline without all the cousins and siblings.
    So, the chart would look like a regular family tree, but only the DIRECT line of ancestors would be show- linking us.
    Thanks.
    OK, lets call you "Dee", and your cousin "Jezebel".

[1] navigate to Jezebel's family card, so she's showing (a spouse, if any, will also be showing).
    [2] in the Navbar, click "Find". In the center panel there will be a section labelled "Find relationship between two people". Jezebel will be Person 2.
    [3] with the sidebar set to "People", find yourself in the list, and click and drag your entry to "Person 1"
    [4] click the "Find Relationship" button. Reunion will find your relationships and display the closest one, and display two new buttons.
    [5] click the new button "Create Chart"
    Dennis J. Cunniff
    Click here to email me

Comment

Thanks so much. That works great.

D.

Comment

Wow, so glad to know this! I've made this kind of tree by marking myself and spouse, then climbing the tree and marking direct ancestors and spouses as I go until the common ancestor, then back down again to the distant cousin. Then I'd make a chart showing only marked people.

Dennis, thanks so much, I should have know that this great software would have a much easier solution.

Susan

Comment

Originally posted by Susan Freas Rogers View Post
          I should have know that this great software would have a much easier solution.
          I totally agree, it's very handy!
          Dennis J. Cunniff
          Click here to email me

Comment

Originally posted by Susan Freas Rogers View Post
            Wow, so glad to know this! I've made this kind of tree by marking myself and spouse, then climbing the tree and marking direct ancestors and spouses as I go until the common ancestor, then back down again to the distant cousin. Then I'd make a chart showing only marked people.

Dennis, thanks so much, I should have know that this great software would have a much easier solution.

Susan
            Dennis showed up the easiest way! I never even noticed that "Create Chart" button. But there is an easier way than what you did, Susan. I used it last week when I wanted to see the relationship of me to two other cousins. They are descended from different brothers of my gr-grandmother. Here's what I did.

I first unmarked everyone in my family file.
            Then I went to my card. Then I marked 6 generations of ancestors of myself.
            Next I went to the card of cousin 1 and marked 6 generations of his ancestors.
            Then I went to the card of cousin 2 and marked 6 generations of her ancestors.
            Last I went to my gr-gr-grandfather's card and created a descendant chart, making sure to check 'marked descendants only' and 'remove duplicates'
            This made it very easy to see how we are all related.

Again, this is only worth doing if you need a relationship for more than 2 people. If you only have 2 people, use Dennis' method.
            Researching DEBEE, FRERICHS/FREDERICKS, HAHNENENKAMP, JANCO, KOLK, PETRINI, WEISS

http://familytreesandbranches.weebly.com
            http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.....com/~ilrootz/

Comment

Way cool, thank you! I am going to bookmark this page so I can find it in the future. :-)

Susan

Comment

Working...
              X