Multiple professions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple professions?

People inevitably cite their profession differently at different points in their lives.

My question is: how do you handle this in Reunion?

Over the years, I have tried using separate boxes (facts) for each recorded profession –*but then on a tree only the first (top one) gets printed.

Then, I've tried putting all the professions in one box, ending up with long lists like "agricultural labourer (1841, 1851), groom (1861, 1864, 1876, 1877)", and a similarly long list of sources for this 'one' fact. And then on a tree you get a massively long profession.

Any ideas / wisdom?

Re: Multiple professions?

I put them all in one box in order (occupation), but if you insist on all those dates, I suggest you record those in notes.
    rMBP, 15", 2.8GHz i7, 16G RAM, Reunion 12.0, iPhone 12 Pro Max, ReunionTouch

Comment

I do as you first suggested, using a separate fact for each occupation. They all show up in printed reports, such has family history, family group sheets, etc. I usually try to keep my printed trees simple with only names and dates of birth, death and marriage, so whether or not one occupation would show up isn't an issue. I'm not sure what the solution is for you if you want them all printed on the family tree.
      Researching DEBEE, FRERICHS/FREDERICKS, HAHNENENKAMP, JANCO, KOLK, PETRINI, WEISS

http://familytreesandbranches.weebly.com
      http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.....com/~ilrootz/

Comment

Originally posted by Kim View Post
        I'm not sure what the solution is for you if you want them all printed on the family tree.
        Rather than try to use a field for both complete information and its summary, I've used a "description" fact field for a short description of the person as I'd like it to appear on a chart.

It might be a profession or some other claim to fame that helps identify someone: physician, actor, musician, daughter of the Duke of Earl, Cher's first husband, etc.
        Dennis J. Cunniff
        Click here to email me

Comment

I would add them as events - a new Event for each different occupation - then you can give them a date range, and then each event gets its own source.

Roger
          Roger Moffat
          http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
          http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

Originally posted by theKiwi View Post
            I would add them as events - a new Event for each different occupation - then you can give them a date range, and then each event gets its own source.

Roger
            So, here, you put it in 'Events', and don't list in 'Facts'? Have you created a custom event for this purpose?

Comment

Originally posted by scatchardfamily View Post
              So, here, you put it in 'Events', and don't list in 'Facts'? Have you created a custom event for this purpose?
              Yes I have - you can do this in the Reunion Preferences ------> Fields panel.

Years ago I gave it the tag _OCC but you can probably also give it the tag OCCU - the same as in the Facts settings area.

I prefer it this way as an event because there are dates and places associated with it, and so you can keep them in order, and they display in other software as events too.

Roger
              Roger Moffat

Comment

Roger - thanks for all this - do you put the actual profession title in 'memo'? If not, where do you put it?!

Would using OCCU conflict at all?

What is the actual reason for having 'facts' at all - if everything might be simply done in 'events'?

Comment

Originally posted by theKiwi View Post
                  Yes I have - you can do this in the Reunion Preferences ------> Fields panel.

Years ago I gave it the tag _OCC but you can probably also give it the tag OCCU - the same as in the Facts settings area.

I prefer it this way as an event because there are dates and places associated with it, and so you can keep them in order, and they display in other software as events too.

Roger
                  Of note, proper genealogy states that a person's job is an *occupation*. It is an EVENT, not FACT as it has a start date and possibly an end date (whether you opt to enter them or not). A custom tag "_OCC" is not required. OCCU exists and is a first level tag to which you can have second level date, place and source. (I'm not a genealogist but my online site uses GEDCOM code in 'stricter' sense):

1 OCCU barkeeper
                  2 AGNC Frosty Ale
                  2 DATE FROM JAN 2000 TO DEC 2009
                  2 PLAC London, England
                  2 SOUR @S1@
                  1 OCCU bar owner
                  2 AGNC Frosty Ale Pub
                  2 DATE FROM JAN 2010 TO DEC 2016
                  2 PLAC London, England
                  2 SOUR @S1@
                  1 OCCU bar owner
                  2 AGNC The Beer Pub
                  2 DATE FROM JAN 2017 TO MAY 2017
                  2 PLAC London, England
                  2 SOUR @S1@

Would show the person at 3 different jobs from Jan 2000 to May 2017. As Reunion doesn't show coding with entry:
                  OCCUPATION barkeeper
                  AGENCY Frosty Ale
                  PLACE London, England
                  DATE FROM JAN 2000 TO DEC 2009 (which Reunion doesn't like but I use as it's proper GEDCOM entry)
                  ====
                  macRBC
                  Reunion user since 2009
                  macOS 10.11.16 El Capitan
                  Reunion v11.0.11

Comment

Roger - thanks for all this - do you put the actual profession title in 'memo'? If not, where do you put it?!
                    Yes, put it in the Memo

Would using OCCU conflict at all?
                    Probably not, but it might depend on where you were moving the data to with a GEDCOM file.

What is the actual reason for having 'facts' at all - if everything might be simply done in 'events'?
                    Facts are things that are unchanged by time - eg eye color. Not all software supports the notion of events, facts, and notes - eg the TNG software that many people use to put their genealogy data online considers everything to be an Event - Notes are Events without a place and date, what Reunion considers as Facts are Events without a place and a date.

Roger
                    Roger Moffat

Comment

Could you tell me what the official status of the Memo field is in terms of GEDCOM. Is it an additional area of text etc?

Comment

Could you tell me what the official status of the Memo field is in terms of GEDCOM. Is it an additional area of text etc?
                        It appears in the GEDCOM file as a NOTE for the Event as in this example

1 BURI
                        2 DATE 6 DEC 1928
                        2 PLAC Arrowtown, Otago, New Zealand
                        2 NOTE Originally entered as “6 Dec 1925"
                        2 SOUR @S15@
                        3 PAGE Gave date as 6 Dec 1925, location as Arrowtown, Otago, New Zealand
                        2 SOUR @S2567@
                        3 PAGE Gives date as 4 December 1928
                        The "2 NOTE" line is in Reunion as the Memo.

Roger
                        Roger Moffat

Comment

Sounds like what one could do is list occupations as events and perhaps put a one-word or so title in Reunion's occupations to show on trees.

@macRBC: what is your site?

Comment

And using OCCU in events –*1) how does one cite the place, by where the record is made of the occupation (even in a church as at a wedding?!), and 2) how to get a 'nice' readout in a report, given the memo is a separate sentence...

Comment

Many thanks for this tip of using OCCU in the Events area.

May I ask whether you use the location of the source as the 'place' field?

E.g.: I have a wedding whether someone's occupation is given as Butcher. Do I really put him as being a butcher in a church?!

Comment

Working...
                              X