Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Storing an extremely sordid story

Hello!

I have just had relayed to me a fairly typical story of an ancestor getting pregnant by a neighour who then left town, marrying her sweetheart shortly after, and disappearing for enough time that it was not obvious that he wasn't the father.

I would like to *store* this for future people but I don't want to *publish* it on the web. There are references to several people in the genealogy in the story so it really should be linked to more than just one person.

What is the correct way to do this in Reunion?

Re: Storing an extremely sordid story

Originally posted by DanielMacKay View Post
    Hello!

I have just had relayed to me a fairly typical story of an ancestor getting pregnant by a neighour who then left town, marrying her sweetheart shortly after, and disappearing for enough time that it was not obvious that he wasn't the father.

I would like to *store* this for future people but I don't want to *publish* it on the web. There are references to several people in the genealogy in the story so it really should be linked to more than just one person.

What is the correct way to do this in Reunion?
    Perhaps you could create a special kind of Note for the account and not include it when you build your web site? Include a copy for each Person involved (I don't know how you would link them but someone else might).

Comment

Originally posted by John Hill View Post
      Perhaps you could create a special kind of Note for the account and not include it when you build your web site? Include a copy for each Person involved (I don't know how you would link them but someone else might).
      Pretty much what I would suggest. I'd say:

[1] This isn't sordid. It's life in the 1950s.

[2] To keep it suppressed in Reunion and available to posterity, write it up in a text file (Let's call it "Secret Information XXX") and include "see the file Secret Information XXX" in the misc note of everyone involved. Put it between the sensitive data delimiters. So:

{see the file Secret Information XXX}

or

add the file to each affected person as a sensitive multimedia item.

You could, quite frankly, add the information directly in everyone's misc. memo, marking it as sensitive, but keeping it separately means it won't be revealed to anyone without the file; they can have the Reunion file and as long as you didn't also share "Secret Information XXX" with them, the secret remains.

Also, you should probably name the file something much less interesting than "Secret Information XXX". Like "recipes for rutabaga" or "winning checkers strategies".
      Last edited by Dennis J. Cunniff; 08 April 2017, 10:23 PM.
      Dennis J. Cunniff
      Click here to email me

Comment

A curiosity question. Something I have never pursued; the thought just now came to me.

Since it is possible to add more Notes fields, would it be possible to control the sensitivity of those additional fields on a field by field basis. If not, it may be something to add to the wish list.
        Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
        Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
        iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
          Since it is possible to add more Notes fields, would it be possible to control the sensitivity of those additional fields on a field by field basis. If not, it may be something to add to the wish list.
          Good thought. Also, if you create a "Secret/Sensitive" note field, and never add it to any report layout, it will remain secret to everyone who doesn't have the original file.
          Dennis J. Cunniff
          Click here to email me

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis J. Cunniff View Post
            ........create a "Secret/Sensitive" note field..........
            Dennis: I didn't know for sure that was possible. How does one go about setting up a note field as such? This old guy tries to learn something new and share something every day.
            Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
            Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
            iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
              Dennis: I didn't know for sure that was possible. How does one go about setting up a note field as such? This old guy tries to learn something new and share something every day.
              I'm going to disappoint you. All I meant was a note called "secrets". I didn't mean a note that could be marked as sensitive.

But no matter what you call the added note, if you don't add it to any layouts it won't be in any charts or books or reports. It'll just be in the file, and if you're the only one using the file, it still qualifies as secret.
              Dennis J. Cunniff
              Click here to email me

Comment

Working...
              X