Military Census Records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Military Census Records

I'm looking for some advice on how to record census information for military personnel. My wife's grand uncle was stationed in Cuba at the time the 1900 census was taken. I have found a "Military and Naval Population" census record for him and wondered how others have treated this kind of information.

On 14 June 1900 he was in Cuba. I can only assume his group was stationed there at that time. My inclination is to record the information as given as his "home" at the time of the census, and note in the notes somewhere that his "real" home is in Clarksburg, West Virginia.

How has anyone else dealt with this?

Re: Military Census Records

Originally posted by Bill Guion View Post
    I'm looking for some advice on how to record census information for military personnel. My wife's grand uncle was stationed in Cuba at the time the 1900 census was taken. I have found a "Military and Naval Population" census record for him and wondered how others have treated this kind of information.

On 14 June 1900 he was in Cuba. I can only assume his group was stationed there at that time. My inclination is to record the information as given as his "home" at the time of the census, and note in the notes somewhere that his "real" home is in Clarksburg, West Virginia.

How has anyone else dealt with this?
    According to Evidence Explained (section 6.39) you should record this information as a census thusly:

Microfilm:
    1900 U.S. Census, military & naval population schedule, Cuba, Guantanamo Bay Pay Office, enumeration district (ED) 119, p.1, line 2, name of person; NARA Microfilm publication T623, roll XXXX.

Or digitally:
    1900 U.S. Census, military & naval population schedule, Cuba, Guantanamo Bay Pay Office, enumeration district (ED) 119, p.1, line 2, name of person; image, “1900 United States Federal Census,” Ancestry.com (www.ancestry.com), 1 April 2015.

substituting the necessary info about your wife’s grand uncle as needed.
    Arnold
    -----
    RESEARCHING: FRIESLAND (Holland); NEW BRUNSWICK (Canada); Maine, NYS & NJ (USA)

Comment

Working...
    X