Syncing with dropbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Syncing with dropbox

Dropbox no longer seems to be syncing my IOS devices. is there a way to force a sync or what do I need to do to get the sync going again.

Re: Syncing with dropbox

Hi,

A couple things to check first:

1 - Make sure Dropbox is running on your Mac. If it is you should see a Dropbox icon at top-right of your computer screen, near the date/time.

2 - Make sure you have the most recent version of Dropbox installed. You can download it here

If Dropbox is updated and running, then open your Family File in Reunion 11 and go to:

File -> Sharing Status...

And let us know what it says there; specifically if it says the file is being shared and also what the file location shown there is.

Thanks,
    Mark Harrison
    Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Dropbox is up to date and is working on this computer and my IOS devices.

Sharing status is "This file is not shared". What do I do to get it sharing again.

For awhile I have had an icon on my desktop labeled !Password.safariextz. The info says it is an extension. Should that be in the DropBox as well? if so do I put it in the top layer?

Comment

Originally posted by B Courtney View Post
        Sharing status is "This file is not shared".
        What is the location of the file? It should be listed in the Sharing Status window just below the status. What steps you need to take to get sharing going again depend on where the file is located.

For awhile I have had an icon on my desktop labeled !Password.safariextz.
        This has no relation to Reunion. This is a Safari extension for 1Password, I believe. You should contact them regarding it.

Thanks,
        Mark Harrison

Comment

The location is
          /Applications/Reunion 11/Courtney Beckwith 11

Comment

That would be the cause of the problem.

Firstly, your family file should never be in your Applications folder. When not using Dropbox to sync with your iOS devices, your family file should be somewhere inside your users Home folder (by default, Documents/Reunion Files/) -- the only thing that should be in your Applications folder is the Reunion 11 application. When using Dropbox to sync, it should be in your Dropbox folder.

Are there any changes on the iOS devices that need to be synced back to your Mac? Or have all of the changes been made on your Mac? That will determine what steps you need to take next.

Thanks,
            Mark Harrison

Comment

I moved the file into the Dropbox folder but down several layers. Should it be in the top level?

I have made no changes in the IOS devices - all have been made in the MAC.

Comment

More Info:

I have two folders in my Mackintosh DropBox that contain Reunion files both named “Courtney Beckwith 11”:
                1. DropBox/IDocuments/Reunion 11/ Courtney Beckwith 11 (created 23 July 2015, modified 4 Feb 2017, 63.6MB)
                2. DropBox/ IGeneral/ Courtney Beckwith 11
                (created 23 July 2015, modified 25 Jan 2017, 45.3MB)

I have 2 IOS devices, both apparently synching with the file in IGeneral/Courtney Beckwith 11. Obviously a problem, but I don’t know how to recover w/o losing recently entered info.

I also found many old Reunion apps and files from prior years on my Mac (but not in the DropBox folder). Can I safely delete these?

How do I determine Reunion file sizes on IOS devices?

Comment

I moved the file into the Dropbox folder but down several layers. Should it be in the top level?

I have made no changes in the IOS devices - all have been made in the MAC.
                  Top level is where Reunion wants it by default. Unknown to me whether it will work properly within a folder.
                  Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
                  Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
                  iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Should it be in the top level?
                    It doesn't particularly matter - the only difference it makes is that you'll have to drill down through more folders to select the file.

I have made no changes in the IOS devices
                    Ok, then what you should do is determine which of the several family files on your Mac has the most recent changes, make sure that file is in Dropbox, and delete any other copies. Then, download that file to your iOS devices, deleting the previous copies of the file from this devices. That should get the iOS devices updated and synced with your current family file.

Note that you only want to have one copy of your family file (aside from backups) on your Mac, and that it should be in your Dropbox folder, in order for syncing to work properly.

I also found many old Reunion apps and files from prior years on my Mac (but not in the DropBox folder). Can I safely delete these?
                    Yes, you can safely delete any files other than the Reunion 11 application and your most recent family file - though it may not be a bad idea to make backups of the older family files, just in case.

How do I determine Reunion file sizes on IOS devices?
                    That information isn't available.

HTH
                    Mark Harrison

Comment

Thanks for the helpful response. I'm now clear that I can delete all the old files and keep the latest file in DropBox.

The remaining question, how do I delete the old information from my IOS devices and then how can I install the correct information from Dropbox on the devices?

Thanks again for all your help, Mark. It's greatly appreciated.

Comment

The remaining question, how do I delete the old information from my IOS devices...
                        You can delete the family file that's currently on the iOS devices as outlined in this FAQ.

...and then how can I install the correct information from Dropbox on the devices?
                        Make sure the file is in Dropbox, then download it to your iOS devices by following the instructions here, starting with step 6. Note that step 7 most likely won't be necessary, as you've probably already connected to your Dropbox account.

HTH
                        Mark Harrison

Comment

Thanks, Mark. You have been very helpful.

Comment

Mark,
                            Can someone who only has an IPad and Reunion Touch, use Reunion Touch without using Dropbox?

Could I send my Reunion file to them by email and have them view it, again without Dropbox?

The reason for asking is that the person that will be the recipient of my file is not very technically sophisticated and dealing with Dropbox might over complicate the process for her.

Comment

Dropbox is required in order to get the data into ReunionTouch. That is, the answer to both your questions is, "No".

HTH
                              Mark Harrison

Comment

Working...
                              X