Marriage Memo or Note?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marriage Memo or Note?

I'm in the process of cleaning up my family tree data. I have some information about a marriage and I'm struggling with deciding where to put it. I'm consolidating bits of information into a something meaningful. Should I put it in the marriage memo field or the marriage note field? I'm having a hard time getting my mind wrapped around why I would use one over the other.

What's the difference? Why would I choose one over the other? Any pro's and con's?

I'd like to get this "right" so I'm not having to do another do-over.

Thoughts?
    --
    Mark

Re: Marriage Memo or Note?

Originally posted by macunni View Post
    ...What's the difference? Why would I choose one over the other? Any pro's and con's?...
    One big difference is the size. The note field will hold 25 times more characters (64,000) than the memo field (2500). So, the nature of what you typically need to record will probably dictate the best place to put it. If you're talking about concise items, then the memo would probably be best. If you need many paragraphs of explanation, then a note field would be better.

Also, the memo field and the note field appear differently in reports. You can experiment with small reports to see the different placement of the fields in reports.
    Frank Leister
    Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Re: Marriage Memo or Note?

Thanks for that.

Something else I thought about: I understand there is a lot of variation in how different applications work, but in general, would either or both be considered GEDCOM safe?

I don't routinely export GEDCOM files, but one day if I wanted to give my data to someone else to manage and they do not use Reunion I would hate to "lose" data. I'm just trying to cover all the angles before I go too far.
      --
      Mark

Comment

Working...
      X