Reunion 11 not opening on previous file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reunion 11 not opening on previous file

Up until this evening, whenever I opened Reunion 11, it would ALWAYS open to the previously open family file. That is the default preference setting.

However, tonight, for whatever reason, it opens to the file selection dialog. I select the file I want and it opens. I then closed out and repeated the process three times, all with the same result.

What has suddenly happened to Reunion that it is not honoring the preference setting?

Mike Phelps
    Mike Phelps
    Goodyear, AZ
    Researching: PHELPS, WATKINS, SPENCER, ALSFASSER, WEMHOENER, BLANCHARD, MARQUETTE, CHAVEZ, VALENZUELA

Re: Reunion 11 not opening on previous file

Follow-up on my last post. I noticed that I did not have the latest version, so I downloaded it and tried the startup again. Same result. I then opened a series of family files and chart files, checking the submenu for "Open Recent." None of them populated the submenu. The only item there was "Clear Menu." It's like my app has suddenly developed amnesia about the files it opens.

What could have changed in the 18 hours or so since I last used the program? I have not updated the system (El Capitan 10.11.6) or added software. The only physical change to my system was adding a new third monitor, replacing an old 19" TV/monitor, with a new HP 24" true monitor. Recent experience with a USB hub causing my Mac to slow down to molasses speeds taught me that external hardware can be a problem. I will test that theory by shutting down and removing the monitor. Will report the result.

Mike Phelps
    Mike Phelps
    Goodyear, AZ
    Researching: PHELPS, WATKINS, SPENCER, ALSFASSER, WEMHOENER, BLANCHARD, MARQUETTE, CHAVEZ, VALENZUELA

Comment

Okay, this is a little weird. I shut down, disconnected the new monitor, and restarted with only my iMac main screen and my older 24" HP monitor. Opened Reunion. It came up fine, opening with the proper family file. Also had a full Open Recent list of files.

Shut down again, reconnected the new monitor, restarted. Opened Reunion, and everything was normal! Proper last file open, and a full Open Recent list.

Not sure what changed from earlier, but it's working again. Any insights from your tech team on this conundrum would be appreciated.

Mike Phelps
      Mike Phelps
      Goodyear, AZ

Comment

From the perspective of another user, the file lists in the save and open dialogs get a little squirrelly for me from time to time, but I think it affects more applications than just Reunion. Restarting generally squares things away. I'm running El Capitan and I assume it's an OS bug. Don't know if it's related to your problem, but it sounds as if the same solution (restarting) works to fix it.
        Tim Lundin
        Heartland Family Graphics
        http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

This happens to me when system memory becomes tight, as evidenced by the Memory panel in Activity Monitor turning pink or red. I usually also lose Finder sounds and the Mail Sent "whoosh" sound. The only way to re-establish default behavior for all is to restart as far as I have found. I can only guess that some system disk access function Reunion needs to load the previous Family File was purged during the low memory condition and does not automatically restart when needed and memory is available.

I've found that if I open one or more Findagrave Memorial pages in Safari and let them sit, within 30-50 minutes all my available memory is gone, the system gets sluggish, all Safari windows stop responding, the fans come on, etc. If I can close the Findagrave windows, memory usage drops, Safari and the other apps become responsive again, but the sound does not come back and Reunion will not open to the last opened Family File.
          Joe M. Oglesby
          http://MeriwetherSociety.org

Comment

I also have trouble with this, not every time but enough to warrant a mention. I believe, although cannot prove, that it started when I upgraded to ElCapitan. I have had to Force Quit Reunion, and reopen the program to get it to access the correct file, or even offer me the choice of files. My answer, but not a proper solution, is to leave Reunion minimised in the Dock. That works for me right now.

I am hoping that upgrading to Sierra will cure the problem but cannot do that now as there is apparently an issue between Sierra and the accounts program I use.

Comment

Working...
            X