3 Things to Know

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 Things to Know

1. Putting a space character in a sir name makes a person disappear to searches, for example the name "Van Horton". Searching for "Van" will not find it, "Van " shows names that do not have the extra space like "VanHorton". I took all my spaces out of sir names which works fine.

2.When renaming a family file in Dropbox do NOT remove the file type "famiiyfile11", file types are not displayed on Macs. I deleted the file type in Dropbox, could not remember what it was and Reunion could not open the file without the file type. I had to lose some data by using a backup copy.

3.When you upgrade from version 10 to 11 the version 11 purchase code is stored in the same file as the version 10 code. When you delete version 10 using CleanMYMac, it will delete all assocated files to version 10, deleting your version 11 code. I didn't have my version 11 code written down and had some trouble getting version 11 going again. Maybe when a person upgrades, Reunion should remove the old version completely for you, just saying.

Re: 3 Things to Know

Originally posted by Ev Horton View Post
    1. Putting a space character in a sir name makes a person disappear to searches, for example the name "Van Horton". Searching for "Van" will not find it, "Van " shows names that do not have the extra space like "VanHorton". I took all my spaces out of sir names which works fine.
    It all depends on how you set your preferences. Under General Preferences, there is a setting called "Prefix words". You can set it to sort on the whole last name (Van Horton would be found starting with "V"). You can also have it not sort on prefix words with less than 4 (or any number) of letters. If you set that, you'd find "Van Horton" starting with "H".

In either case, you can find what you want, you just have to know where to find it.
    Dennis J. Cunniff
    Click here to email me

Comment

I deleted the file type in Dropbox, could not remember what it was and Reunion could not open the file without the file type.
      Had you contacted us about this issue we could have instructed you in what the file extension was and how to re-add it. Simply re-adding the file extension would allow you to open the file again.

In fact, you may be able to restore the file via the Dropbox website and re-add the extension so that you don't lose any data due to having to revert to a backup. Note that on the Dropbox website the family file will appear as a folder, not a single file (because Reunion 11 family files are what's known as packages) - you need to add the extension to the folder.

HTH
      Mark Harrison
      Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

......... do NOT remove the file type "famiiyfile11", file types are not displayed on Macs. I deleted the file type in Dropbox, could not remember what it was and Reunion could not open the file without the file type. ........
        Incorrect. You can set to show or not show extensions. It is the first item in Finder Preferences. I am including a screenshot as some other setting choices may be of interest.
        Attached Files
        Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
        Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
        iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Excellent, thanks Everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis J. Cunniff View Post
            It all depends on how you set your preferences. Under General Preferences, there is a setting called "Prefix words". You can set it to sort on the whole last name (Van Horton would be found starting with "V"). You can also have it not sort on prefix words with less than 4 (or any number) of letters. If you set that, you'd find "Van Horton" starting with "H".

In either case, you can find what you want, you just have to know where to find it.
            How does one have Reuniontouch do the same thing? I believe the space messes things up with Reuniontouch.

Comment

How does one have Reuniontouch do the same thing? I believe the space messes things up with Reuniontouch.
              Sorry to say I'm not sure. Maybe someone who uses Reuniontouch more than I do can help!
              Dennis J. Cunniff
              Click here to email me

Comment

Working...
              X