Events vs. Facts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Events vs. Facts

New to Reunion. I am trying to understand the concept of Event vs. Fact. In the Sample Family Tree just about everything seems to go into Event. Yet, Education is a category that seems to be both an Event and Fact. Is better to think of a Fact as an attribute ? I assume the difference is very important when it comes to reports.

Re: Events vs. Facts

Originally posted by drfiske View Post
    New to Reunion. I am trying to understand the concept of Event vs. Fact. In the Sample Family Tree just about everything seems to go into Event. Yet, Education is a category that seems to be both an Event and Fact. Is better to think of a Fact as an attribute ? I assume the difference is very important when it comes to reports.
    An event has a date associated with it.
    A fact doesn't.

What you record things as is really personal preference. For example, on Education, you might consider being a Harvard alumnus as a fact, but obtaining a B.A. degree from Harvard in 1953 an event.
    Dennis J. Cunniff
    Click here to email me

Comment

Welcome to the neighborhood, Reunion users tend to be fiercely loyal and generous at the same time. I encourage you to ask questions and dare I say it, learn from the masters?

As a veteran user of Reunion (10+ years), I tend to go with, “if it has a date attached, it is an event” theory. Things that can be attributed to a person without a date (e.g.: Also Known As) can be recorded as a fact. That said, I agree that education info can fall into that grey area between event and fact. Your example is a good choice in that that when someone graduates from college, that occasion can, and should be, treated as BOTH an event and a fact! The graduation ceremony is the event and the degree is a fact. We as diligent researchers need to record BOTH parts!
      Arnold
      -----
      RESEARCHING: FRIESLAND (Holland); NEW BRUNSWICK (Canada); Maine, NYS & NJ (USA)

Comment

As I learned, facts are without date: you have a certain hair colour; you belong to a certain religion by birth, conversion would be an event whereas you were born on a certain date; you graduated on a certain date; you married on a certain date.

Education - would be an even because there is a time period involved.
        ====
        macRBC
        Reunion user since 2009
        macOS 10.11.16 El Capitan
        Reunion v11.0.11

Comment

I agree; I record education as both an event and a fact.
          Graduation on a date is an event and I add the degree in a note.
          But I also add the degree and college as a fact.

I do the same with employment.
          If I know the retirement date or dates of employment, they go down as facts. But if an obit only gives occupation and the name of the employer with no date, I record that as a fact.
          Researching DEBEE, FRERICHS/FREDERICKS, HAHNENENKAMP, JANCO, KOLK, PETRINI, WEISS

http://familytreesandbranches.weebly.com
          http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.....com/~ilrootz/

Comment

Working...
          X