This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spell Check

Is there anywhere I can set prefs for spell check? I'm checking large portions of text (not all in one place) and would like to have spelling consistent. Some below can be set, some maybe not working properly:
    > Check for at least one space after period and commas (inconsistent)
    > check for caps of proper names/months of years (abbreviated) and after period (assumed end of sentence, but not necessarily)
    > check for two words together (inconsistent)

I also have all years starting with capital "i" instead of 1 and not sure how to handle those; I'm now going through entire text looking one-by-one
    ====
    macRBC
    Reunion user since 2009
    macOS 10.11.16 El Capitan
    Reunion v11.0.11

Re: Spell Check

Reunion uses OS X's built-in spell checker. You should consult Apple's website for details on its capabilities.

HTH
    Mark Harrison
    Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
      Reunion uses OS X's built-in spell checker. You should consult Apple's website for details on its capabilities.

HTH
      It's quite capable in checking the spelling in notes, but when it changes the characters I put into the search button in list of people, I get quite frustrated! I start with rit (looking for all the Ritchies) and it automatically changes to rot! That's very unhelpful. I wish the Reunion software would not allow the automatic spell checking in lists and fields, only in notes. It already has the nifty place name fill-in (love that!), so I don't have to worry about that. In fields such as surname and given name, I want the freedom to put in all the unusual names that occur without the spell-check second-guessing me. But I love the automatic spell check for notes too much to throw it out altogether via the preferences. Any suggestions?

Comment

I agree but I think Reunion isn't doing the change, "Apple" is. I create a new record then some time later need to refer to it (attach usually) and it's not found. Why? The name was changed in spell check and I didn't notice it. Sometimes I catch on before creating a dupicate record.... other times, I don't.

Concur with Dona, when searching lists for "rit" and it's changed to "rot", defeats the purpose of the search! Same problem (auto change) occurs with place names.
        ====
        macRBC
        Reunion user since 2009
        macOS 10.11.16 El Capitan
        Reunion v11.0.11

Comment

Originally posted by Dona Ritchie View Post
          but when it changes the characters I put into the search button in list of people, I get quite frustrated! I start with rit (looking for all the Ritchies) and it automatically changes to rot! That's very unhelpful.
          Exactly!

Roger
          Roger Moffat
          http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
          http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

As of Reunion 11.0.9, Spell Checking is disabled in the the last name text box, the places field of events, Find Anything, and search boxes for lists.

HTH
            Mark Harrison
            Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
              As of Reunion 11.0.9, Spell Checking is disabled in the the last name text box, the places field of events, Find Anything, and search boxes for lists.

HTH
              Thank You!!

Comment

Working...
              X