This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about sharing

I have a laptop, a desktop, and several mobile units. I am able to open the database file and edit it on my desktop and any number of mobile units at the same time. But I am not able to open the file on my desktop and laptop at the same time. Can someone help explain to me what is going on?

Re: Question about sharing

That's the way it works. It is intentional. See "Guidelines for using Dropbox with Reunion" in the manual (Help - Mobile Devices and Dropbox Sharing)

Comment

Re: Question about sharing

Originally posted by Mark Woods View Post
      I have a laptop, a desktop, and several mobile units. I am able to open the database file and edit it on my desktop and any number of mobile units at the same time. But I am not able to open the file on my desktop and laptop at the same time. Can someone help explain to me what is going on?
      I suggest you check out the Reunion Help File: "Using Dropbox to Share Your Family File with Other Macs"

Basically if you were 'permitted' to edit the same Reunion File on two Macs at the same time you would end up with two conflicting databases because of the time it takes to upload and download the database changes via any Cloud based service; and because it is not possible to lock individual data items in the Cloud-based 'synching file' when they are being edited in the user(s) local copy (or copies) of that file as no communication takes place until the next data upload/download of changes takes place. You would, in fact, get exactly the same issue if you updated a local copy of your Reunion File on one computer, failed to upload those changes to DropBox before shutting down the program; and then edited some further changes in the 'same' Reunion file on a different computer without first manually copying your datafile across to that computer: End Product = 2 conflicting local databases that DropBox would have no chance of resolving!

The Mobile App seems to be able to get around the underlying technical limitation of Desktop Software, presumably because mobile apps are capable of employing a different method of logging and communicating individual data changes via a cloud service.

Mervyn

Comment

Working...
      X