Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to avoid typing the same source info, over and over again?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to avoid typing the same source info, over and over again?

Hi,

I have set up source templates for my most used sources. My question is: Is there a way to insert a default answer? Right now most of my research is done online and on Ancestry. For example, is there a way to have some information to show up automatically to avoid typing "www.ancestry.com" or "United States Federal Census" over and over and over and over again?

Thanks,
    Terri Kreitman

Re: How to avoid typing the same source info, over and over again?

Yep, TextExpander.

Type a few pre selected letters, and it expands it to its full sentence or paragraph. They even have a version for IOS devices! I bought the full version and I receive lifetime upgrades. Check out the smilesoftware site. Next to Alfred, it's one of my favourite apps.

S

Comment

Originally posted by tarilyns View Post
      Hi,

I have set up source templates for my most used sources. My question is: Is there a way to insert a default answer? Right now most of my research is done online and on Ancestry. For example, is there a way to have some information to show up automatically to avoid typing "www.ancestry.com" or "United States Federal Census" over and over and over and over again?

Thanks,
      Terri Kreitman
      I agree with another poster .... TextExpander. I use it to quickly type things I use often such as Ancestry.com, FamilySearch.org, GenealogyBank.com, etc. I also use it in my census memos to say, as an example for the 1900 census: In 1900 the household consisted of:

I do not use it to type something for the U. S. census because I am one of those lumpers that create one entry for each census, a template if you will. I add the census details; location, ED, page, household, etc. in the Detail field (which, for Ancestry.com, I copy right from their citation.
      Kathy
      Reunion 13
      MacBook Air, Mac OS 13.5.2

Comment

Thank you for your suggestions! They led me to discovering that my Mac has a built in text expander that I did not know about. For all of you Mac users out there, you should check this out...http://www.applevis.com/guides/free-...mac-os-10-lion.

Thanks again,
        Terri Kreitman

Comment

Originally posted by tarilyns View Post
          Hi,

Thanks,
          Terri Kreitman
          I don't really use source templates. I just go back and duplicate one of the sources I have from the site, and then make changes where necessary. So for say, the 1940 Census, I just duplicate my most recent 1940 Census source, then change the location info, web link, and head of household.
          Researching DEBEE, FRERICHS/FREDERICKS, HAHNENENKAMP, JANCO, KOLK, PETRINI, WEISS

http://familytreesandbranches.weebly.com
          http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.....com/~ilrootz/

Comment

Working...
          X