X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Occupations...

Hi,

Given that an individual could have several occupations throughout their life, is it possible to add an Occupation Field in the Person Table, rather than placing this information in the "Memo" field...??

Dougie.
    Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government!

Re: Occupations...

Occupation is one of the default fact fields available, and you can add as many instances of that fact to a person that you want so you can capture all the occupations a person might hold.

On the other hand, some people have suggested it might be better to create a custom event called Occupation so that dates can be associated with the start of each occupation.
    Tim Lundin
    Heartland Family Graphics
    http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Originally posted by ttl View Post
      Occupation is one of the default fact fields available, and you can add as many instances of that fact to a person that you want so you can capture all the occupations a person might hold.

On the other hand, some people have suggested it might be better to create a custom event called Occupation so that dates can be associated with the start of each occupation.
      Thanks ttl...

The latter is what I am currently doing...adding an occupation, held on a given date, as an Event; which then ties in with other data taken perhaps at a census. ie. age, occupation and place of residence.

The Reunion default option, adding occupations as a "fact" (which to my mind is correct) would just allow for a random list of occupations without any clear indication as to when this was, other than what could be gleaned from the source...there's no date column in the "Facts" page.

What I find though, is when I exchange my data with family members, who are using other Genealogy Software, the occupations in the "event" page don't always appear, given that I have marked them in the "Memo" field and not the "Place" field...
      Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government!

Comment

I guess I wasn't thinking too clearly when I originally responded.

The way I handle this problem is to put the inclusive dates for the occupation for each instance of the Occupation fact field, but this still is a little awkward. Perhaps this would be a reasonable wish list item.
        Tim Lundin
        Heartland Family Graphics
        http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Originally posted by Douglas McMann View Post
          Thanks ttl...

The latter is what I am currently doing...adding an occupation, held on a given date, as an Event; which then ties in with other data taken perhaps at a census. ie. age, occupation and place of residence.
          Do you also modify the Narrative Form in the preferences? If so, how did you modify that? I like the idea of using the event field rather than the fact field, but would like to have the narrative thought out before changing 100+ entries.

Comment

Working...
          X