This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Importing media that was attached to Events

I just exported a gedcom from Legacy into Reunion. Everything seemed to come across pretty well (I had previously worked on sources, etc. to have them import correctly.) The glaring exception is ANY media file that was attached to an event in Legacy, does not get imported into Reunion. All other media does, just nothing that is attached to an event. An example would be a Death Certificate which, in Legacy, is attached to the event and not just put into the media gallery. I did the same thing, importing into Heredis and those event media imported fine there so I think this is a Reunion issue.

Is there any way to massage the gedcom to make this type of media import correctly?

Thanks!
    Kathy
    Kathy
    Reunion 13
    MacBook Air, Mac OS 13.5.2

Re: Importing media that was attached to Events

Originally posted by Kathy C View Post
    I just exported a gedcom from Legacy into Reunion. Everything seemed to come across pretty well (I had previously worked on sources, etc. to have them import correctly.) The glaring exception is ANY media file that was attached to an event in Legacy, does not get imported into Reunion. All other media does, just nothing that is attached to an event. An example would be a Death Certificate which, in Legacy, is attached to the event and not just put into the media gallery. I did the same thing, importing into Heredis and those event media imported fine there so I think this is a Reunion issue.

Is there any way to massage the gedcom to make this type of media import correctly?

Thanks!
    Kathy
    Kathy,

Do doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I am aware there is no way in Reunion (or in many other family tree apps) of attaching media directly to individual events:

From the Reunion Help File:

"Multimedia Items Are Added to Records, Not Fields

Multimedia items are linked to records, not fields. For example, photos can be linked to people, family, and source records; however, you can't add a picture to a birth event, or a note field, a place field, a fact field, etc.

If a birth certificate is linked to Leroy, it's obvious that the image relates to Leroy's birth. If a death certificate is linked to Leroy, it's obvious that the image relates to Leroy's death. Clarifying comments, if any are needed, can be stored in the memo field for an event; or, in the Comments field associated with the image. Or perhaps in the Misc. Notes field."

Personally, I always add "event media", e.g. a Marriage Certificate, to a Source Record for the event. That single Source and linked media can then be referenced by all of the 'facts' and 'events' evidenced in the document to individuals in the file with the minimum of duplication. It usually also significantly improves the reliability of data and media transfer to/from other software, whereas attaching media directly to events tends to use proprietary methods specific to individual products and, as you now see, it often adversely affects reliable transfer between products.

Mervyn
    Last edited by mjashby; 27 February 2016, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Re: Importing media that was attached to Events

Mervyn

Thank you for taking the time to help me. I do know what the Reunion Help Manual says about where media files can link to. I have used Reunion on and off since version 4. That's not the issue for me. I have imported a gedcom from Legacy that allows that sort of attachment to events. The data is included in the gedcom but Reunion won't access it. So, my original post asked if there was any way to edit the current gedcom I have to make it work with Reunion and those previously attached media files? If I can get that accomplished, I promise I won't give attaching media to events another thought. .....Although, it would be a great feature for Reunion to, at least, recognize that in gedcom imports.
      Kathy
      Reunion 13
      MacBook Air, Mac OS 13.5.2

Comment

Working...
      X