This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pre-loading Source Fields

Is there any way to pre-load fields in source types? For example, if I were to create a source type for Find A Grave, could I pre-load the title field with Find A Grave? It would save a lot of typing.

-----===== Bill =====-----

Re: Pre-loading Source Fields

Originally posted by Bill Guion View Post
    <snip>could I pre-load the title field with Find A Grave? It would save a lot of typing.

-----===== Bill =====-----
    I use a utility called TextExpander which I have set to expand, for example ;fg to Find a Grave. I have set up 30 or so abbreviations and it saves a lot of typing. TextExpander is available at smilesoftware.com

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Paul K View Post
      I use a utility called TextExpander which I have set to expand, for example ;fg to Find a Grave. I have set up 30 or so abbreviations and it saves a lot of typing. TextExpander is available at smilesoftware.com

Paul
      I agree, TextExpander is a tremendous time-saver when typing information in my genealogy work. I have 79 shortcuts now that help speed up typing place names, cemetery names, newspaper names and the like.

TextExpander also helps by watching your typing and making suggestions for abbreviations when it sees words or phrases that you have typed a number of times. I'm glad to have it in my collection of software tools.

Hope this helps.
      John Bastin
      jbastin1@me.com
      Researching: Bastin, Decker, Brake, Perry, Schmid, Sheppard, Matty, Fox, Orr, Eicher
      Mac OS X 10.13.4, Reunion 12.0 (Build 180502) 64-bit

Comment

I use Duplicate Source for this purpose. I either:
        1. Create a base Source, which never gets used, which contains all of the common data for a given basic source like FindaGrave or a given census. Then whenever I need a specific Source Record, I duplicate the base Source and fill in the specific data.
        or
        2. I duplicate an existing Source record and change the specific data.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul K View Post
          Or use the text expansion built into OS X: System Prefs > Keyboard > Text. Syncs automatically between all your Apple devices too.
          Surnames Dresch, Eyden, Lunn, Mountfort, Page, Robinson, Ryan, Whitworth, and more.

Comment

Working...
          X