This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Devonthink Pro Office

Is anyone using Devonthink? I have been trying out various software packages to work alongside Reunion, and have fallen in love with Devonthink for managing all my media sources and documents.

But I have a question on the best method to handle my data. Would I be better off importing everything into the database, or leaving it in my folder structure on my computer and linking to it?

Re: Devonthink Pro Office

There is no right answer to this – it all depends on how you like to structure your data. I use a mixture, with Groups in DTPO organised by Family Lines and primary documents organised by type outside DTPO. The best place for different views and opinions is the Devonthink forum. There are a lot of threads about this. Try searching on "import or index". Alternatively you could start with this thread: http://forum.devontechnologies.com/v...=12275&p=86055

Comment

Thanks Keith, I actually emailed DT support and found that I can have the best of both worlds and only input my data once. Anything I import into DT, with a simple export, I can replicate separately on my hard drive, completely independent of DT. I LOVE this software combined with Reunion for genealogy!

Comment

Yes, it's fantastic for genealogy. I drop all my research-in-progress into Devonthink where it can be be organised, analysed etc.
        The only thing to think about is off-site copies (in case of fire, burglaries etc.). It is dangerous to put the Devonthink database itself into a Dropbox folder, but syncing the database to Dropbox works well, and effectively acts as a backup in case of disaster.

Comment

I read that somewhere, so my database resides on both my desktop and laptop, and syncs via dropbox.

It's much slower to sync that way, vs keeping the database directly in dropbox, but I just make sure to sync every few records so it doesn't take forever.

Comment

Working...
          X