This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to geocode an address in a person's note field

In each person's details, in the notes field, there is an Address field, where I have many addresses culled from the census taken every 10 years in the UK. These are absolute addresses, including a house number, so very precise. I would like to geocode each of these addresses.

None of these addresses appear in the Places sidebar, which only seems to have the places I have used in births, marriages and deaths, and are typically less precise.

My Notes addresses are each on a new line in the Address field, the line beginning with the census date. It would seem very difficult to parse this information. Maybe I should enter the information differently?

For clarification, in the main window below each person I have Birth, Death, Occ, Note, Addr and the addresses are vertically scrollable.
    Wilson, Britan, Leeming, Thirsk; mainly around York and North Yorkshire, UK

Re: How to geocode an address in a person's note field

You can't do what you're wanting to do - with Reunion, or with any other software that I'm aware of.

If you want these places geocoded to appear on a map, you have to do what I do and create a new census event for each census and put the census address there in the place field for that event.

shows the event, and

shows what is in each of the fields. The string of text in the memo is a transcription that is formatted to appear on my website as shown here

Roger
    Attached Files
    Last edited by theKiwi; 05 January 2016, 05:15 PM.
    Roger Moffat
    http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
    http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

Re: How to geocode an address in a person's note field

Originally posted by theKiwi View Post
      You can't do what you're wanting to do - with Reunion, or with any other software that I'm aware of.
      Thanks theKiwi,

And generally thanks for all your input in this forum.

But actually, you can do what I want to do, but not the way I was going.

I should use the Event labelled Residence, which when filled appear in the places list and can be geocoded. I had to add these to the family view in Preferences (Preferences > Family View > Default in the left list > Couple in the right pane, and add Field Residence). I will delete the field Address to maintain the space when I have transferred all the information from one to the other.
      Wilson, Britan, Leeming, Thirsk; mainly around York and North Yorkshire, UK

Comment

Working...
      X