This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Merging files

Using Reunion 10 and somewhere along the line (don't ask me how) after transferring to my newer Mac Air laptop I've discovered that I've ended up with and using TWO separate Reunion 10 files the laptop. (Before upgrading I had been using an older desktop Power Mac with Reunion 8 - which was no longer supported). Thus I've been adding new information using my laptop to BOTH files indiscriminately. I hope that it's fairly simple for this geezer to "merge" these two files so that I only have ONE file to work exclusively from the laptop. (Desktop soon to be retired.) Thanks for any replies.

Re: Merging files

Originally posted by jcapistr View Post
    Using Reunion 10 and somewhere along the line (don't ask me how) after transferring to my newer Mac Air laptop I've discovered that I've ended up with and using TWO separate Reunion 10 files the laptop. (Before upgrading I had been using an older desktop Power Mac with Reunion 8 - which was no longer supported). Thus I've been adding new information using my laptop to BOTH files indiscriminately. I hope that it's fairly simple for this geezer to "merge" these two files so that I only have ONE file to work exclusively from the laptop. (Desktop soon to be retired.) Thanks for any replies.
    Methinks you have a bunch of work ahead of you. Depending on the size of the database, and the number of individuals involved, your situation could be complicated and potentially very messy. If this were my problem, I would:
    1) Make backup copies of both files and put them in a safe place.
    2) Decide which file to use as the master file, and which is the secondary file.
    3) In both files create two flags: Merge and Done.
    4) Start by importing SMALL batches (no more than one nuclear family per) from the secondary file into the Master. Note that this will create duplicate entries for each person.
    5) When transferring the data from Secondary to Master, use the Set Flag feature to append the Merge flag = Yes.
    6) Using the Match & Merge People function, find and merge each individual pair of duplicate entries (one at a time!)
    7) Once the pair of entries have been merged, you will need to inspect the resulting entry for duplicated events, fact, notes and flags. Once the duplicate data has been removed, what remains is your master entry for that person!
    8) Set Done flag to Yes.
    9) Repeat for the next individual.
    10) Once the batch is complete, make a new Master backup and import the next batch.

Note that in step-7, you may have to move citations from entry to entry!

By the time you have all of your data transferred, you will be our resident expert on how the Match & Merge People function works. Take your time, work carefully and make frequent backups!
    Arnold
    -----
    RESEARCHING: FRIESLAND (Holland); NEW BRUNSWICK (Canada); Maine, NYS & NJ (USA)

Comment

Working...
    X