This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re:Identifying duplicate persons.

I have occasionally stumbled across someone on my tree, who has been input twice. Is there some simple mechanism, within Reunion 11, which would automatically identify, potential duplications? I know that I can manually trawl through my tree, but am always looking for labour saving processes.

Re: Identifying duplicate persons.

Couldn't you used the 'People' sidebar, with names arranged alphabetically by Surname, to quickly see any duplicates?
    Researching DEBEE, FRERICHS/FREDERICKS, HAHNENENKAMP, JANCO, KOLK, PETRINI, WEISS

http://familytreesandbranches.weebly.com
    http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.....com/~ilrootz/

Comment

Originally posted by billbir View Post
      Is there some simple mechanism, within Reunion 11, which would automatically identify, potential duplications?
      The Match & Merge People feature can be used to locate possible duplicates. To access this feature, open your family file and select:

File -> Match & Merge People...

For details on how this process works, click the "?" at bottom-left of the window that drops-down after selecting the above menu entry.

HTH
      Mark Harrison
      Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Kim View Post
        Couldn't you used the 'People' sidebar, with names arranged alphabetically by Surname, to quickly see any duplicates?
        Hi
        Not really. I was trying to avoid going through a list of 3500

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
          The Match & Merge People feature can be used to locate possible duplicates. To access this feature, open your family file and select:

File -> Match & Merge People...

For details on how this process works, click the "?" at bottom-left of the window that drops-down after selecting the above menu entry.

HTH
          Hi Mark,

Thanks for the suggestion. I did see Match & Merge, but not being au fait with the system yet, I was hesitant about messing up my database. Is it a 'safe' process which I could undo if necessary?
          Bill

Comment

Is it a 'safe' process which I could undo if necessary?
            Once entries have been merged, there is no way to undo the merge (except for reverting to a backup from before the merge).

You can always use this feature just to find possible duplicates. After clicking "Find Matches..." in the window that drops-down when you select "File -> Match & Merge People..." you get a new window listing possible duplicates. You can close out of this window at anytime without merging any entries, you must click the "Save" button at bottom-right of the window to save any merges. Once you click "Save", though, you can't undo the merges.

HTH
            Mark Harrison
            Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
              Once entries have been merged, there is no way to undo the merge (except for reverting to a backup from before the merge).

You can always use this feature just to find possible duplicates. After clicking "Find Matches..." in the window that drops-down when you select "File -> Match & Merge People..." you get a new window listing possible duplicates. You can close out of this window at anytime without merging any entries, you must click the "Save" button at bottom-right of the window to save any merges. Once you click "Save", though, you can't undo the merges.

HTH
              Hi Mark,

Thanks for the guidance. As I thought, without a correct understanding, I could have caused myself a problem. Not now, thank goodness!

Comment

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the suggestion. I did see Match & Merge, but not being au fait with the system yet, I was hesitant about messing up my database. Is it a 'safe' process which I could undo if necessary?
                Bill
                The Match & Merge function cannot be un-done! Therefore I always make a current backup (duplicate) of my file before using the M&M function. Used carefully this function is safe, but takes time to learn what to do, and what NOT to do!
                Arnold
                -----
                RESEARCHING: FRIESLAND (Holland); NEW BRUNSWICK (Canada); Maine, NYS & NJ (USA)

Comment

Working...
                X