This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

merging in another Family file

I've tried following Frank's suggestion in http://www.reuniontalk.com/showpost....06&postcount=4

And I can get the second file to be imported. And using the Mark in the source file, I can eliminate obvious duplications.

But I don't understand how to connect the two trees together.

I want to say "Joe Shmoe" is the son of "Moe Shmoe" who is already in the tree.

This has to be easy, but I'm not understanding something fundamental

Thanks
    Pat

Re: merging in another Family file

Originally posted by pfarrell View Post
    I've tried following Frank's suggestion in http://www.reuniontalk.com/showpost....06&postcount=4

And I can get the second file to be imported. And using the Mark in the source file, I can eliminate obvious duplications.

Thanks
    Pat
    First Select "Moe" and then find and add "Joe" as his child, i.e. Drag from Joe from Sidebar to Moe's Children, or click on the Children drop down option to "Add Male Child from Side Bar"

Mervyn

Comment

Re: merging in another Family file

Originally posted by pfarrell View Post

Thanks
      Pat
      Pat

I do believe that your misunderstanding stems from the fact that you have two copies of Joe Shmoe –– one from the original (master) file and another from the imported file! Simply linking father and son as mjashby suggests is only half of the battle as it leaves BOTH copies of the son (Joe) in your database. What you need to do is to use the MATCH & MERGE function to integrate the data from both of those cards into one card! Once that is done, you will need to inspect the resultant card for duplicate events, facts, notes, etc. and adjust those as necessary.

Note that while using the merge function is straightforward and does work, it is best to read up on it in the manual before tackling this job!

PS: The magic in making the M&M function work is making certain that the name on each card is precisely the same on both cards! That, and having only those two cards marked helps as well.
      Arnold
      -----
      RESEARCHING: FRIESLAND (Holland); NEW BRUNSWICK (Canada); Maine, NYS & NJ (USA)

Comment

Working...
      X